Sponge Replacement

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by phamh, Jul 24, 2015.

1. p

phamh New Member Member

Hi guys. I've learnt that you should change your biochemical sponge frequently and my question is why? Yes, I know how recycling works: NH₃ -> NO₂ -> NO₃. And I also know that the filter is there to cultivate the beneficial bacteria - Nitrosomonas, Nitrosospira, and Nitrospira. I just need to know why we should change the foam once a month (this, of course depends on the fish-gallons ratio). Are those biochemical foams coated with a layer of germs that die out over time or something? I really hope someone would explain this to me. Thank you.

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you joined us.

I have not heard of changing the foam, in fact I have heard the opposite - don't change it. If it gets dirty just swish it in some tank water in a bucket during your WC. I clean mine quite vigorously with my hands once in a while. As long as it is wet or in water the BB will remain viable.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    If you change your media every month you're losing your beneficial bacteria, sponges only need changing when they're falling to bits & that can take many years.
    The only thing that needs changing every 3-4 weeks is activated carbon if you use it as it loses its effectiveness after that time.

4. OP
    OP
    p

phamh New Member Member

Hi guys. Many thanks for your welcome and your quick replies. I swear I've read it somewhere that you should change the foam every 4 to 6 weeks, which really surprises me since it makes no sens at all. Thank you for clearing that up. Just because of that I've ordered 10 sq ft of foam on ebay :'(. I really have no idea what to do with them now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice