Sponge Question For Aquaclear Filters.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by toran, Mar 17, 2018.

1. toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi,
    A quick question. Does the sponge need to be 1.5" deep for aquaclear 50 and 1.75" deep for aquaclear 70? Could I cut them in half and in the future purchase a less deep sponge?

Reason is I want to put more purigen and/or bio beads in the filter.

2. Abby565

Abby565Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    4 years
    You can pretty much put whatever media you want in the Aquaclear filters, as long as you have enough places to the bactera to grow. So yeah, you could do that.

3. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    Great, thanks.

4. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,536
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have the original sponge, biomedia, and about 6 extra pieces of bulk floss stuffed in my AC 50. The nice thing about them is you can really stuff them full of whatever media you would like.

5. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    2 years
    This is why aqua clear is the BEST HOB available. It's a canister style HOB. LOVE THEM!

6. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    You can do so many things with AC filters. I wrote an article last year on my AC mod. I have kept this setup in all my filters and i have not run into any problems. I personally prefer more biological media but you can put Purigen on the top of you want.

Aquaclear H.O.B. Filter MOD

7. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I also love my AC's, more impressed with them than my fluval C4!

Thanks Tanks and Plants. I read your article. It is interesting how you put sponge on the side of the motor. Something to think about.

I was confused about the sentence "since the media is dry" when you are reassembling the filter. As I start my PWC I empty the media from the filters into a bucket and siphon tank water into the bucket. I use another bucket of old tank water to clean the media. The media doesn't dry out.
    Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

8. Tanks and Plants

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    Sorry that’s assuming you have brand new media. But even if you have old media if you place it in a strainer and let the water drip out a little, when you place it in the water with the liquid B.B. the media will suck up the water with the B.B. In it.

I also use the Fluval “C” series filter but I use the smaller “C”2, IMHO its more of a gimmick than anything. And a way for Fluval to make you spend more money on a product. On my C2 I don’t use that pad and cover, that pad after a while needs to be replaced and a pack of 3 pads costs the last time I checked around $10.00 for 3.
    What i do instead is I fill a media bag with a little carbon and zeolite and I also have some poly-filter on the very bottom of that black tray. And the media bag with carbon and zeolite has a dual use. It holds the media in the bag and where the water comes out of that spout it, the media bag also acts like that white pad. It helps collect the big debris that shoots out of that spout. If you want I can take pictures of what I do so it’s a little easier to understand.

9. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thank you.If you have time, pics would be nice. I'm a visual person LOL.

I use quilt floss and reusable polishing pads after all my sponges. I've noticed the sponges last longer. I toss the floss and clean the pads with bleach.

10. Tanks and Plants

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    I totally understand as I am the same! It easier for me to understand something if I can actually see it. Right now it’s 4:03am in Honolulu and I’m sorry i don’t want to turn on the lights in my fishroom. I have some pretty new Zebra Plecos and they are more of a nocturnal fish. But later on In the morning I will gladly take some pictures and post them back here.

11. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    I meant to say "when you get a chance". You don't want to disturb your babies. Yesterday I cleaned that tank so it will be a week before I do anything with the filters, no hurry. I'll check back later today as I need to get a few things done now. Have a great day.

12. Tanks and Plants

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thank you and you have a GREAT day Too!

13. Tanks and Plants

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    Here are the pictures on how I set up my C2, I run this setup in my Gold Ocellatus Breeding Tank. My fish continue to breed and I haven’t run into any problems. The main thing is that you keep an eye out on your filter pad. That can get dirty really fast and if your using an after market filter pad that red knob on the C2 will not pop up.

3976A6BF-FC91-4A50-A170-8081AC82CA64.

I place some Poly Filter on the bottom and the media bag on the top of that. Water hits all the media and the filter media bag acts like the white pad that comes with the C series
    4C42840F-E7E0-4067-8DBF-98A170BAEAA1.

14. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hey,
    I understand what you are saying with the help of the pictures!!!

It was kind of you to take and send them.

When I first bought the filter I also bought an extra pack of 3 pads that go on top of that box. I clean it every week and when it gets really dirty I switch it and clean it with bleach with the polishing pads. They are still in good condition after a year and a half but been thinking about what other material to use instead.

I don't use carbon in my tanks unless needed for a specific reason. There are many different ways to do things with the filters. It is fun to see what others do.

Jealous 178] of your fish 225] room

15. Tanks and Plants

Ratings:
    +423
    Experience:
    4 years
    Thank you for your kind remarks! I use carbon because I am a heavy feeder and it helps take out the finer food particles when it breaks down. And once that happens I take out the bag and I rinse it. I am very suppressed that your pads are lasting that long! Mines didn’t even last a year! I agree with you 100%, that it is great to see the way other people do things because you can always take that idea and turn it into your own! But if i had to choose again between the Aquaclear and C2 sadly i would choose the Aquaclear. You can do so many different things with the Aquaclear.

Thanks!