Sponge Over Filter Intake?

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just found my baby Bristlenose Pleco dead (May he SwI'm In Peace), sucked up into the filter. He’d been hanging around in a giant Val near there all day and I think he must’ve got a little too close and he got pulled in. Would putting a sponge over the filter intake help prevent that from happening with future fish? Or would it reduce the effectiveness? The filter is an aquaclear 50.

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it will help and I would say it's essential if you have fry. It won't reduce effectiveness too much provided that you rinse it often to stop it clogging. I find that a coarse sponge is best otherwise it needs very frequent rinsing.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have tried to convert all my filters to sponge filters because of constant fry, but yes, adding a sponge over the intake works just fine!

OP
Thibault Drake

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AquaCaitlin said:
I have tried to convert all my filters to sponge filters because of constant fry, but yes, adding a sponge over the intake works just fine!
Ok, I’ll try that. It really hate to have fish die and I want to avoid it, but it’s the circle of life and it’ll happen. Still sad though.

OP
Thibault Drake

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Islandvic said:
Thibault Drake , here is a link to a thread on the forum that will show you with pics, how to install a sponge pre-filter on your Aquaclear. I think there is at least 3 or more examples....

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | Filters and Filtration 385506

I use them on my filters.
I used the aquaclear filter one. I had one of those lying around the house so I jus used that one. Wish I would’ve done it a few hours earlier though. Well, I guess you just learn from your mistakes.

!poogs!

Well Known
Reaction score
From breeding BN plecos, I know exactly what you mean. BN pleco fry don’t just get sucked up, the swim up intake tubes intentionally. When I first started breeding them I would find them alive swimming in my canister filters and HOB Filters. I grow them out as free swimmers in. Tank with a sponge filter only and still they swim in the discharge tubes.

When I have and HOB filter in a grow out tank I use the sponge from an aquaclear 20 over the intake tube. If the intake tube is large, I use the fabric from a loofah sponge wrapped around the intake with a hair tie. It works and doesn’t have an affect on flow rate.

New Threads