Sponge Or Fungus?

Copingwithpods

Reaction score
20190814_213712.jpg

Wondering if this is something I should worry about or a harmless critter. It's colorless and growing up against the back wall in a place that gets no light. Should I remove it, let it be, feed it, frag it for a profit of possibly millions? Breast feed it?

Please help, I'm leaving on vacation in 2 days.

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hilarious commentary-- no advise though sorry. it's hard to tell what I'm looking at. Do you have a better pic?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You talking about the wiggly looking white thing in the middle? It's harmless. Some sponges grow in low flow low light areas. Unless it's aiptasia, majano, or a crab, most everything else on your liverock is an overall benefit to the tank. Sponges usually indicate good water quality.
I would advise against breastfeeding it.
And the only way to make a million on reefing is to spend a billion.

Copingwithpods

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it put my mind at ease for a bit, that is until I realized it's actually I highly invasive alien sponge sent by the devil himself from the aquariums near the deepest pits in **** to take over my tank and possibly my home and car. It's now growing at the base of a torch frag and a zenia. It's powers must still be growing as the corals don't seam to mind. Been researching how to best remove it but it seams that being the little alien demon spawns that sponges are, the more you scrub and scrap the more you release spores and thus make things worse. Any advise how to stop it? A sponge eating critter? A chemical dip? Lava? Surface to air missile? Should I ask on a Facebook group, I hear 1 like equals 1 prayer there.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is your tank pretty young? I seem to recall they are self limiting and will die off after a while on their own. They are filter feeders so extra clean water is the best way to prevent them from taking over.

Copingwithpods

Reaction score
Yeah, only been up a couple of months. I just now discovered the the rear chambers are covered in them.... this is it.... this is how this tank goes back to freshwater. I'm going to add a bit of freshwater everyday to acclimate the corals.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sponges really aren't bad to have! They are filter feeders and are often considered part of the cleanup crew. Just let it be for a while, you'll see. Saltwater is nothing like freshwater and part of the wonder of it is watching all of this unexpected life show up and live and die and the tank balances all of that with very little input from you except water changes in six or eight months.
Except aiptasia, majanos, gorilla crabs (most crabs actually) bryopsis, cyano....those all must be killed with fire immediately....

Copingwithpods

Reaction score
All jokes aside, I have had ornamental sponges before and other small, less aggressive hitchhikers but never anything like this. All the sponges I've had in the past grow in shaded areas even in areas that receive no light. These guys are growing right under the lights. I'll let it be for now and watch it closely.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It just occurred to me after what you said about the light... my friend that ran the coral farm had this growing in some of the vats I think. There were white sponges that grew into long fingers like twigs. Kind of cool in their own way, but as you may have noticed, I'm a fan of the "let it be and see what happens" approach. Might explain why I don't have a reef tank anymore too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom