Sponge in the filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Imashark, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ImasharkValued MemberMember

I have a Fluval Edge and I took out the media to rinse the sponge. When I put the media back in, all these particles got into my tank is this normal? I don't know if it's what's inside the filter or from the sponge I'm not sure. Am I supposed to take the whole entire filter out and rinse the inside of the entire thing?

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

You may have not rinsed it well enough or its normal to have some particles get in the water. I have a fluval edge as well and what I do is pull the whole tray out and place it in a bucket with used tank water and swish it clean in there. Then I put back in the filter and while some of the particles get back in, not too much.

You don't need to take out the entire filter or even rinse the entire inside unless its super dirty.

You could always go over the water again with the vacuum to get the stuff that fell back in. I wouldn't worry about it -

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, it's normal for the water to become a mess immediately after cleaning the filter. All that junk will be filtered out again.

4. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Yep. Usually when any filter maintenance is done it's going to break some debri loose inside the filter itself. The particles should dissipate and become unoticable in a short time.

Also be sure to turn the filter off when doing maintenace and completely refill the filter box before restarting.

5. OP
    OP
    I

ImasharkValued MemberMember

What about the filter itself? Should I unplug it, remove it, and rinse out the inside of it? After all, isn't the debris that gets filtered underneath the sponge? Or would just rinsing the sponge in the media suffice.

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I usually dump out the water in the filter when I clean the media.

7. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

Unplug the filter with every water change and/or sponge rinsing. I guess dedending on your tank and such. maybe tear the filter down every 3-12 months for a thorough cleaning...Every tank and tank/source water is different, so that will have to be figured out on individual basis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice