Sponge help

C1984

I have a 55 gallon established aquarium with 30 plus community fish gouramis, chocolate pleco, cories, mollies guppies, patties, snails, rainbows, anyways I through 2 sponge filters in there and hid them in the back for my new 30 Gallon. Is this long enough for the sponges to be seeded???

Ebreus

I'm sorry but you haven't given any amount of time to tell if it has been long enough for them to be seeded. How long have the sponges been in the tank?

C1984

Oh lol they been in for about 2 weeks

Nobote

They shoukd be at least partially colonized by now.

kallililly1973

i'de give em a month at least

smee82

At least 2 weeks is ok but a month is best.

Nobote

nitrifying bacteria will double much more slowly than E. coli.

Heres an intresting read on nitrosomoas/nitrobacter

Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

Gone

You'll never really know until you do it. It's important to test the water frequently in the new tank. The filters coming from the old tank will provide seed bacteria, but that doesn't mean your tank is cycled. The filter will transfer only a fraction of the bacteria from the bioload in the old tank, and the other surfaces in the tank won't have bacteria colonies. I have double sponge filters in tanks so I can transfer them for new tanks, but you have to monitor and do water changes, because it will take some time.

C1984

Thanks for the help only put 2 mollies in there for now with the 2 sponge filter and 2 big chunks of wonder rock, and took the 1.5 foot decor boat in there that was in 55 gallon tank too plus took the filter floss out and squeezed it inthere,

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Brent Jordan
Replies
Views
aoiumi
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views