sponge fry 55 Gallon Tank 

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my molly fry are almost too big for the net breeder and i was wonderin if i could attach a sponge to the intake of my power 60 if so what's the best way i was thinkin like filter foam the black stuff

Attachments

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get a filter sponge, cut a slit in it (not all the way through) and slide it on like a sleeve.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
regular filter floss works too, i think it's also called quilting batting material.

just wrap it around the intake tube and affix with a twist tie or zip tie or rubber band.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had the quilting batting clog when I wrapped it around the intakes. I'd have to shake them daily or else the filter suction really suffered. I had it in a single layer, too. I will say that the two tanks are planted so there's more gunk floating around. I have had great success with the sponges.

-Lisa

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A cheap car wash sponge cut to a small size with a slit in (like Lucy said) works great for making those filters fry safe

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got biosponge stuff from petco for 2$ and i cut a hole in it and slipped it over the intake. It works wonderfully. You could also try pantyhose but it is better to have something with bulk so they are unable to get close enough to the actual intake to be pinned on by the current. perhaps pantyhose, then filter floss, then pantyhose again?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found pantyhose to get sucked too tight with the suction of the intake almost stopping the wter flow from the out take.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have found the cheap yellow car wash sponges get sucked too tight as well. It practically stopped my 55's intake, and that was an aquis 700 canister.

Black filter sponges work very well though, as suggested above.

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
petco to grt a filter sponge it is thank you u have all been helpful as always

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've also used the aquaclear sponges. Simple to clean but they are white so they get dingy looking. Glad you found what you needed!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads