Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Rhobbs521, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

I’m thinking of going for sponge filters in my next tank that’s 125 gallons. Would you use two filters rated for 75 gallons three filters rated for fifty or one rated for 150?

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Might want to watch this video here. Looks like you may need 2 sponges rated at 120 gallons each.

3. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

The tank gallon size ratings should be taken with a grain of salt.

I would put a large one in both corners of the tank minimum, if not line up 3 along the back wall.

If it were my 125g and only using sponge filters, I would buy:
    (3) ATI Hydro Sponge V's +
    (3) ATI Hydro Sponge PRO V's
    (3) ATI Steps and Bull's Eye Connectors

I would use the step and bull's eye connector to attack the regular Hydro Sponge V on top of the Pro V model, and line all 3 stacked sponge filters along the back wall.

I would throw either an Aquaclear 50 or 70 power head on top of each stack.

The regular ATI H.S. filters use a fine foam.

The "Pro" versions use a coarse foam that allows for higher flow rates.

Stacking both types allows for a higher flow rate through the bottom coarse sponge to draw in muck from the bottom of the tank. This will be mainly for mechanical filtration and biological secondary.

The fine foam sponge stacked on top will still have water flowing through, but not as fast. This would primarily be for biological filtration.

ATI products are all modular and every piece can be bought individually, to create your own filtration systems.

Check out these links to online company's with best prices and selection of ATI products (Amazon has horrible selection and pricing).

Ken's site has the ATI replacement sponges and all parts listed in separate sections on the site. Also if his site loads and looks very basic (no graphics), scroll all the way to the bottom and click "full html site", Ken's also has great selection and deals on fish food!

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Can i ask how he was able to put the short section of airline onto the bottom part of the underside nipple on the plastic housing? did he cut to size then dip the airline in hot water n then cool it off? or possibly tweezers?

5. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

I'm sure you can ask him on the Youtube video. However I would suggest what @Islandvic says and use power heads.

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

its all good i was just curious if anyone has used the airstones on those models and knew the way... Thanks!!

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@kallililly1973 , the model of sponge filter from video on cichlidude's post was probably a Hikari Bacto-Surge, or one of the numerous clones.

Almost all are based off the ATI brand's design. I think they actual hold the patent and most everyone else still copies them.

The top round plate pops off from the cage looking part that the sponge slips around. When the top plate comes off, there is the double sided male fitting for the air tubing to plug into on both sides.

All those pieces snap together and pull apart.

That is how he placed the short 2" line with air stone on the bottom portion.

I have the Hikari Bacto-Surge (Large Size) I bought on sale for $5 plus a couple of the ATI Hydro Sponge II models.

The Hikari works, but to me the plastic pieces didn't have the quality as the ATI brand does. Plus ATI sells all the pieces individually and you can stack them on top of each other.

8. Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

Is the only benefit of powerheads is the higher flow rate?

9. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Yes and for a 125 gallon you're going to need everything you can get.

10. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Helps with drawing in more water at a time, so more detritus gets pulled in.