Sponge Filters?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Shane Dostie, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Shane Dostie

Shane DostieValued MemberMember

I'm setting up a 90 gallon goldfish tank and I want to use a sponge filter. I've seen it done a lot and I was wondering how they work. I know you connect an air pump to it but will it do a good job supplying BB? I plan on doing a fishless cycle using ammonia. And if so, any suggestions on good sponge filters?

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Sponge filters shouldn't be used as the main tank filtration, especially not for Goldfish. Their best use is in fry tanks, betta tanks, etc.

3. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Sponge filters have their particular applications:

As supplemental biological filtration to increase surface area for beneficial bacteria.
    The only (mainly biological) filtration in tanks where frequent daily to every other day water changes ( grow out tanks, for example, for discus) are done.
    For fry tanks.
    For small fish with low bio-loads.

That said, you can use sponge filters for a Goldfish tank ( or any tank or fish for that matter) as long as you accept that you are the mechanical filtration ( i.e. water changes, lots of them).
    Actually you will have very healthy, vibrant fish- but, you may not like changing water so often.

Mechanical= You doing at least 3 x 50-75% water changes weekly. Maybe more, maybe less-- would all depend on weekly water tests.

4. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    Shane Dostie

Shane DostieValued MemberMember

Thanks for advice everyone. I want a setup like solid gold on YouTube. I always keep up on my water changes so I think I can handle it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice