Sponge Filters Question

1. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I'm needing some advice for what sponge filters I should get. I'm wanting to get 2 - both for 10 gallons, one for a betta and one for a dedicated shrimp tank. There's so many options - eBay, aquabid, Amazon - my head is spinning. I've looked at some dual sponge ones where you don't rinse both sponges at once so don't lose BB. And some other ones that have like layered/stacked compartments where you can put extra media. I've only ever used internal or HOB. So if I could get some recommended types, brands, Amazon links lol that would be awesome! Thanks!

2. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Don't ever actually rinse them... Gently squeeze them or swish them around in a bucket of dirty tank water on occasion... If you see stuff stuck to them suck it off while you syphon your tank.

I just use basic sponge filters, no stacked ones, none that have places for other media. I also only use them as sole filtration in small low current tanks like shrimp and betta tanks. I also poke them a couple times with my syphon and otherwise do no maintenance, they are pretty easy.

I like the single large sponge for my 5 gallon tanks and use double for 10. I generally buy advertised 2-3 times my tank size (5 gal I buy a 10+ gal sponge) in a 10 gallon it's a bit easier but double check that the height of your sponge output tube isn't taller than your tank :)

3. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

4. Fish-whisper Member Member

The dual sponge work well, I have 6 of them. All my HOB & canister filters are modified using sponge filters as the pre-filter. Fill the HOB with bio media, sponge filter as the pre and take the HOB to the next level. IMO HOB, except the Hagen AquaClear, are not very good unless modified.

5. fissh Well Known Member Member

I like sponge filters, I've found this brand to be the best of the several types of sponges I've used.
    ATI Hydro Sponge Filter #1

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have most all the styles. They all work fine. Pay attention to the dimensions as you can really hog up space in a small tank. Drs Foster and Smith have good prices on a few different brands. I use their cheap ones and they are nice quality with properly weighted bases. They have a Mini corner model that works nice in a 5G. Rated for larger I'm sure but I would run a pair in a 10G though it may be overkill. Easier to hide them some in a smaller tank. I have some of their small size and they dominate a 10G. It would be difficult to scape it. An extra sponge in at least one tank can save you when you need an instant QT, hospital or just cycling a new tank.

7. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I second the Hydro Sponge. You can run it with an air stone, which makes it much quieter.

8. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Thanks y'all!!

9. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Sorry, dumb question but how do you run it with an air stone?

10. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

You attach the air hose to the gray plastic piece on top of the filter. Then attach a short length of air hose with airstone attached to the bottom of the gray piece. It makes more sense if you're looking at it...

11. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

It makes sense! Thanks!

12. Letsfish Member Member

I have a 29 gallon tank with a Acuclear 70 HOB filter on it and it`s only negative is it is not self priming which could be a problem during a power failure,so I decided on a Hydro IV .My only problem was I had to move a Amazon Sword but that turned out good because where it was located it was a little cramped and now it can spread it`s wings.;)