Sponge Filters

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Am I doing something wrong or are sponge filters the LOUDEST filters on the planet?

My living room is a chorus of bubbles right now. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That is one of the downsides of sponge filters, they do a great job but the pump or bubbles can be noisy.

3. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Mine are quiet but I use a very quiet pump. I never here it. I also keep the bubble just at the edge of the surface. If you have the same filters I do, it may just be the pump you are using. :(

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What brand do you have? How is it positioned in the tank? Is the output above the water or submerged? What air pump?

I rarely even notice my sponge filters and at the moment, every single one of my tanks is running solely on sponge filtration. I use tetra air pumps which tend to be quiet, and most of the output tubes are submerged in my tanks, for extra water movement.

5. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

They are the active sponge filters Angels Plus sells. They look like Hydro Pros.

I am pretty sure it's my air pump haha. It's quite a monster of an old hydroponic pump. Has 4 outlets, very powerful. I opened up an extra outlet and it quiets the pump down a bit.

6. virusmk Well Known Member Member

PI looks like you need new airpump. My airpump is eheim 200 and hardly noticable. While i cant really say that i can hear any noice in the tank created by air bubbles

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

PI, do you have flow control valves ? you can control the flow so its not bubbling excessively.

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Eesh. Get a $10.00 tetra pump lol. Much quieter.

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Ehhh that's just ANOTHER expense.

Rivieraneo, I think i am just going to do as you suggested and cut and unravel the sponges. I actually don't need the added filtration.