sponge filters

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ok i hav some questons on this topic tryiing to find if i should swith from biowheel to sponge watst he maintence do u just hav to rinse the sponges every week or do u hav to do something else and is ther and $ maintance and how do u know how many or big of a sponge filter do u need

thnks

big mo

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I have my first sponge filter in my tank right now and the directions I got with it said to rinse the sponge filter in USED TANK WATER every 30 days or so but the general belief around here has been from those with the most knowledge about them is that you don't rinse them until the water won't go through them anymore, so that you aren't washing out the good bacteria. I love the sponge filters. The size will depend on the size of your tank and when you order one the sizes are listed plainly on the descriptions of the filters. There are several posts on sponge filters already on the forum. If you go to the search bar above and type in "sponge filters" it should give you the posts and so you can read what others have written about them. A lot of the really great fish experts use them here.

Rose

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have the single ones in my fry tanks, the ones with two sponges in my 20 gal and a big round one in another tank. I prefer the double sponges because I rinse one sponge each week but thats just my preference.
    Again it depends on the size tank your going to use them in.
    Carol

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

id like to use them in both my tanks but would two be enough in my 30 gallon but i would hav to find something smaller for the 2.5 tank right ???

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

i had the flat white round one and it worked great but it was about 3" in diameter and does take up a lot of room compared to the others. It also needed to sit on the floor of the tank and the others can be set up on the side wall. I like the ones Butterfly uses better.

Rose
    :D

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

how many sponge filteres will i need in my 30 gallon if i used the elite double ones 1 2 or 3 and would i hav to replace the sponges at all

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

i used my filter for "up to 10 gallons" in my 3 gallon quarantine tank. It worked great. I replaced it with the Duetto from the vase after the vase broke just because it took up less room.

Rose

9. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well does anyboyd think i would save money if i replaced my HOB filter with a sponge fiilter even the the HOB is in perfect condition i just don like spending 10 dollars every few months

10. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

The sponge filter will definitely save you money.  It doesn't take cartridges and just needs rinsing in used tank water when the water won't go through it anymore.  If you read further in the filtration posts, I believe you will find references to sponge filters lasting for years without any more than a rinse now and then.  You can spend a fortune in replacement filtration media in that much time.  There are also sponge filters for tanks all the way up to 130 gallons at http://drsfostersmith.com and they also carry the replacement sponges for each one they sell.  The pricing is extremely reasonable for sponge filters also. 

Rose

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I love my sponge filters! The maintenance is next to nothing. You should not be spending that kind of money on a HOB filter. Carbon is not necessary to add to your filter media, and unless you are getting no water flow through the filter cartridge, you should not be replacing them. Simply swish your filter cartridge through some used tank water when it needs it, and until the cartridge is completely clogged where rinsing no longer helps, or it's literally falling apart, don't replace it! I've had the same filter media in some of my filters for 6 months! ;)

12. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

so you do have to replace the sponges maybe once or twice a year do you think i should change over to sponge filters i already have a pump i would only have to get the filter i do that for the cartridges i have right now and i replace them when the bio-wheel wont spin anymore usually 1-2 months depends on how much the gravel has been stirred up more its stirred up the more crap the filter picks up

13. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

First of all you should never have to replace your Bio-wheel either. The problem is usually the impeller is plugged up with gunk and just needs to be cleaned. If it is cleaned, the wheel will usually begin to spin again and you will not have to replace anything.. It only takes a minute and you don't have to start the cycling process over on a new Bio-wheel. If you will check your manual that came with the filter or look it up on the internet or even call the manufacturer they will walk you through the process and save you a lot of money. The sponge filters are also the greatest, but the Bio-wheels are good and too expensive to be replacing just because the impeller is gunked up.

I hope this helps you. I had to go through this with my Eclipse Hex 5 set-up when I thought I had burnt up my filter. The Marineland people were very helpful in walking me through the process and all was well.

But I still use the sponge filters in my quarantine tank where I don't want the water flow to be very fast and the little guys needed the cycling process to proceed more quickly. I floated the sponge in the cycled tank for a period of 10 days before I started the new tank and it had a chance to start the bacteria from the other tank so it didn't take that long to cycle the new tank. Worked great!

Rose

14. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

The sponges on the sponge filters should last for years! Even the sponges in the aquaclears and other filters should last a very long time. Dino just replaced an aquaclear sponge he had been using and rinsing for 15 years!

15. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no what i mean should i just stick with my bio-wheel now i clean the propeler monthly or should i get sponge filters because they wilil do a better job and cheaper

16. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Since you already have the bio wheel set up, I'd stick with that and just keep the impeller clean.

17. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya i celan the intake tube and propeler once a month but do i need to scrub the filter cartridge in fish water and should i clean the inside of the filter out

18. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

does anybody know if i should scrub the filter cartridge when i rinse it

19. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Is the filter cartridge the type you replace? If it's just some floss with carbon in it, don't scrub it, just rinse in old tank water.

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya its the type that you replace do you think it would be a good idea to run a sponge filter for extra filtiration since i have an extra air pump