Sponge Filters - the age old question?

• Thread starter aquachris
  • Start date

aquachris

So I do love sponge filters, they are all in my 10g tanks as my only media. I have a 29g that I use a HOB and a sponge filter in, I might go all sponge eventually in it but haven't fully decided.

Anyhow, I have a 20g and 40g I will eventually be getting going.. Its a bit way to go, but I like to watch for deals/etc in the meantime, and start slowly getting what I need. The 20, I have no issue going sponge filter only... Its the 40, I'm starting to wonder if its too much? I am concerned on how much room the sponge will take up in the tank as well, as those large sponges are huge LOL. I guess I'm torn because I'm a huge fan of them, especially in my 10s, but I don't want something massive in my 40...

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
If it makes you feel any better, i am seeding a big sponge filter in my 20g so i can put it in my 45g with an HOB....it is pretty big though lol

aquachris

Betta'sAnonymous said:
If it makes you feel any better, i am seeding a big sponge filter in my 20g so i can put it in my 45g with an HOB....it is pretty big though lol
It doesn't make me feel better LOL! Yeah, thats what I keep seeing, is once you go over 20, they get obnoxious. I like the price and efficiency of them though... I thought about the sicce shark might be leaning more to that... its just the price in comparison is drastic lol.

Flyfisha

Well Known
How about a Hamburg Matten filter?
Kind of a wall sponge filter at one end of the tank.

faydout

Well Known
I've got a few of the big honkers in my 40B (4 40 gallon rated sponges)... they're sitting in there for now so they didn't lose their cycle while I was redoing another tank. I've started stacking all of the big ones, using zip ties if necessary. I'd rather the look of that stack of sponge, than to lose more floor space. In the one that I'm redoing (54 gallon), my plan is to eventually go all sponge filters, once everything in it is well seasoned... so around christmas time or so.

ETA: I'm also waiting until I can move my air pumps behind the drywall in the basement (the furnace / water heater / crawl space entrance is the only thing behind the wall), and split / route them to different tanks, so that I don't lose my filtering redundancy.

Fisch

Flyfisha said:
I think the corner ones are just great. It looks like in the US you have more of a DIY system going, in Europe they seem to be commercially available.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Instead of one huge sponge how about running 2 smaller ones instead. The smaller ones should be easier to hide behind something.

Fisch

faydout said:
I've got a few of the big honkers in my 40B (4 40 gallon rated sponges)... they're sitting in there for now so they didn't lose their cycle while I was redoing another tank. I've started stacking all of the big ones, using zip ties if necessary. I'd rather the look of that stack of sponge, than to lose more floor space. In the one that I'm redoing (54 gallon), my plan is to eventually go all sponge filters, once everything in it is well seasoned... so around christmas time or so.

ETA: I'm also waiting until I can move my air pumps behind the drywall in the basement (the furnace / water heater / crawl space entrance is the only thing behind the wall), and split / route them to different tanks, so that I don't lose my filtering redundancy.
What kind of airpump do you have connected to it. Stack of sponges is nearly like a Matten filter

faydout

Well Known
Flip aquatics, and swiss tropicals both sell matten filter set ups in the US, if you wanted to avoid the DIY route.

faydout

Well Known
Fisch said:
Stack of sponges is nearly like a Matten filter
A whisper 100 on the 40B, and an Active Aqua 4 port on the 54. The stack I have cycling in the 54 is built precisely with the idea of it looking / behaving like a corner matten. It's 2 40 gallon corner filters, with the lift tube capped so it isn't mucking up the glass. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it today when I do my WC.

aquachris

Flyfisha said:
I thought about that actually... That might not be bad, as it is easier to hide in a way... Getting the matten the right size for a 40, that might prove harder :)

aquachris

Fisch said:
I think the corner ones are just great. It looks like in the US you have more of a DIY system going, in Europe they seem to be commercially available.
I've seen some of those corner ones, those look really nice!

aquachris

faydout said:
A whisper 100 on the 40B, and an Active Aqua 4 port on the 54. The stack I have cycling in the 54 is built precisely with the idea of it looking / behaving like a corner matten. It's 2 40 gallon corner filters, with the lift tube capped so it isn't mucking up the glass. I'll try to remember to get a picture of it today when I do my WC.
Would love to see this! I was wondering about "stacking" like that...

Fisch

Drasi said:
I thought about that actually... That might not be bad, as it is easier to hide in a way... Getting the matten the right size for a 40, that might prove harder :)
Nothing a scissor or utility lnife could not fic;)

Pfrozen

Well Known
if it helps im running a 40g sponge with a 40g pump in my 10g WITH a 10g hob... never got the diatom or algae stage after my tank cycled cus I'm way overfiltered... i think its been 2 months now? at least 6 weeks anyways. I dunno. I could def go sponge only at this point but I will probably do sponge+hob for life at this point cus i tend to stick to things i know

aquachris

Fisch said:
Nothing a scissor or utility lnife could not fic;)
problem is getting a sponge big enough... when I've looked on amazon, they are usually only 12" , and I need 18x16... There were some tho that I found might work... Might give it a try

aquachris

Pfrozen said:
if it helps im running a 40g sponge with a 40g pump in my 10g WITH a 10g hob... never got the diatom or algae stage after my tank cycled cus I'm way overfiltered... i think its been 2 months now? at least 6 weeks anyways. I dunno. I could def go sponge only at this point but I will probably do sponge+hob for life at this point cus i tend to stick to things i know
Thats almost exactly how I feel right now, what I know. Though I used to be a die hard HOB guy, then I went canister, now that I have some smaller tanks again, I wanted to always try just sponge, so I did it, and it works great.

Basically I have all kinds of different filtration happening in my tanks, sponge, AIO, HOB and sump (in my Oscar tank). The sump has been an adventure I'm still uneasy with, but I love the options it gives... But for normal small tanks, man, nothing beats the sponge :)

Just had a thought, imagine a sponge filter for a 210 :)

Pfrozen

Well Known
Ha I wonder how you could even set up a 210 sponge! any 500g air pumps out there? Maybe just have a wall of smaller ones at the back covered with plants?

Fisch

Drasi said:
problem is getting a sponge big enough... when I've looked on amazon, they are usually only 12" , and I need 18x16... There were some tho that I found might work... Might give it a try
Silicone one into the corner...

Flyfisha

Well Known
I saw a sheet or two of foam suitable for a DIY project in a pond supply store yesterday. Approximately 3 feet by 5 feet . I totally walked away without asking the price per foot as the temptation was there to buy a chunk cut to size as that is what they were selling.

Vivo

Betta'sAnonymous said:
What does "seeding" a sponge filter mean?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Seeding a sponge filter.= Adding a new sponge filter to an established tank. After a few weeks ( 3 ish) the new sponge filter is dirty and has a limited amount of bacteria on it. It is now ready to be moved to another tank.

faydout

Well Known
Drasi said:
Just had a thought, imagine a sponge filter for a 210
Like this?
maxresdefault.jpg

Vivo

Flyfisha said:
Seeding a sponge filter.= Adding a new sponge filter to an established tank. After a few weeks ( 3 ish) the new sponge filter is dirty and has a limited amount of bacteria on it. It is now ready to be moved to another tank.
I am getting a small one to "seed" in my 33 gal. so I will have a filter ready if I need a quarantine tank. So, if I do need said tank, how long will it take for the water to be ready for a fish if I add a seeded sponge filter? Let's say a 5 gallon.

faydout

Well Known
faydout said:
I'll try to remember to get a picture of it today when I do my WC.
It's a mess, but there's no fish in this tank still. I'm just getting hardscape and stuff into it. Only plant at this point is a water lily that just sprouted the other day.

If you look in the back, that's the stack. There are 2 corner shaped sponged in the back corner of a corner shaped tank. The sponges stand 12 - 15" without the lift tube. The little one in the front of the pic is one of the 4 that I just bought to seed qt / hospital tanks. I'll put another one in my 40, and another I'm using as a pre filter intake on my canister.
IMG_0726.jpg

aquachris

Vivo said:
I am getting a small one to "seed" in my 33 gal. so I will have a filter ready if I need a quarantine tank. So, if I do need said tank, how long will it take for the water to be ready for a fish if I add a seeded sponge filter? Let's say a 5 gallon.
A couple to three weeks. I like to have extras running all the time so I am ready.

aquachris

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
I actually need to add a smaller one to that tank for a soon-to-be betta tank. That tank will be ready long before the 45g will lol!! Still trying to figure out where that 45 will even go...

Top Bottom