Sponge Filters For Rack System

Royal_Affair

I am redoing my fish room in the summer. I am planning on making a new rack that can hold up to 4 30 gallon but most likely will only have 2 30 gallon on the bottom, a 20 gallon and then 2 10g. I currently have all my tanks with HOB filters but it takes up a lot of outlets. Would changing to sponge filters be the best idea and if so what size would I get for each tank? I went on amazon but couldn't tell what size they were. If you have any recommendations links to Amazon would be very helpful!

lilabug4545

I think it depends on what species you're planning on keeping. Personally, my fishroom redesign will have all sponge filters, because I keep mainly bettas, killifish, and pygmy sunfish.

Fashooga

I have a 40 gallon rated sponge filter that I bought at my LFS...I use that for my 10 gallon QT tank. I'm not sure if they go any higher...if anything you could put two sponge filters in one tank if your worried if one isn't enough.

Keep in mind, if your trying to save up on the use of outlets you will want to look at a air pump that will do more than one tank but has to be strong enough to support 4 tanks at one time.

Royal_Affair

Fashooga said:
I have a 40 gallon rated sponge filter that I bought at my LFS...I use that for my 10 gallon QT tank. I'm not sure if they go any higher...if anything you could put two sponge filters in one tank if your worried if one isn't enough.

Keep in mind, if your trying to save up on the use of outlets you will want to look at a air pump that will do more than one tank but has to be strong enough to support 4 tanks at one time.
Yes, my plan is to run a PVC pipe with valves for each tank.

Royal_Affair

lilabug4545 said:
I think it depends on what species you're planning on keeping. Personally, my fishroom redesign will have all sponge filters, because I keep mainly bettas, killifish, and pygmy sunfish.
I have cichlids, mbuna, peacock and haps. I also plan to have a pleco or two.

lilabug4545

I would say you'd be fine with a HOB or canister, unless you breed.

BKabina

I would go with these. Cubefilter shop - SWISSTROPICALS

I’d use the 6” cubes with the 30ppI foam. For a pump, something like these would probably be best.

I’m not familiar with what brand of this style pump would be best so maybe someone will chime in.

One large pump and sponge filters would be much less work and a whole lot cleaner.

Royal_Affair

BKabina said:
I would go with these. Cubefilter shop - SWISSTROPICALS

I’d use the 6” cubes with the 30ppI foam. For a pump, something like these would probably be best.

I’m not familiar with what brand of this style pump would be best so maybe someone will chime in.

One large pump and sponge filters would be much less work and a whole lot cleaner.
That's what I am hoping for! I also have fry so it will make it easier and safer!

BKabina

Might be worth calling or emailing them and see if they would do a bulk pricing.

I’d definitely recommend at least the 30ppI foam for fry. They do offer 45ppI as well

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom