Sponge Filters For Rack System

Royal_Affair

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am redoing my fish room in the summer. I am planning on making a new rack that can hold up to 4 30g but most likely will only have 2 30g on the bottom, a 20g and then 2 10g. I currently have all my tanks with HOB filters but it takes up a lot of outlets. Would changing to sponge filters be the best idea and if so what size would I get for each tank? I went on amazon but couldn't tell what size they were. If you have any recommendations links to Amazon would be very helpful!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 40g rated sponge filter that I bought at my LFS...I use that for my 10g QT tank. I'm not sure if they go any higher...if anything you could put two sponge filters in one tank if your worried if one isn't enough.

Keep in mind, if your trying to save up on the use of outlets you will want to look at a air pump that will do more than one tank but has to be strong enough to support 4 tanks at one time.

Royal_Affair

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a 40g rated sponge filter that I bought at my LFS...I use that for my 10g QT tank. I'm not sure if they go any higher...if anything you could put two sponge filters in one tank if your worried if one isn't enough.

Keep in mind, if your trying to save up on the use of outlets you will want to look at a air pump that will do more than one tank but has to be strong enough to support 4 tanks at one time.
Yes, my plan is to run a PVC pipe with valves for each tank.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with these. Cubefilter shop - SWISSTROPICALS

I’d use the 6” cubes with the 30ppi foam. For a pump, something like these would probably be best.

I’m not familiar with what brand of this style pump would be best so maybe someone will chime in.

One large pump and sponge filters would be much less work and a whole lot cleaner.

Royal_Affair

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would go with these. Cubefilter shop - SWISSTROPICALS

I’d use the 6” cubes with the 30ppi foam. For a pump, something like these would probably be best.

I’m not familiar with what brand of this style pump would be best so maybe someone will chime in.

One large pump and sponge filters would be much less work and a whole lot cleaner.
That's what I am hoping for! I also have fry so it will make it easier and safer!

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might be worth calling or emailing them and see if they would do a bulk pricing.

I’d definitely recommend at least the 30ppi foam for fry. They do offer 45ppi as well

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom