Sponge Filters are great!

Hunter1
gonna promote these.

I t takes a pretty big filter to have as much space for beneficial bacteria as a sponge filter.

I have one...or 3 in every tank I have.

For new tanks, I mount the holder on the walk and move one sponge from different tanks, add water, instant cycle.

CHEAP! Just a $15 airpump and a $8 sponge filter.

ONLY DOWNSIDE: they are unsightly. If you have plants. Plant in front of the filters.

Thoughts?

Fashooga
I think sponge filters are great. They hold a lot of B.B. I have one in my 90g that basically for QT purposes. I pull out of the tank and plop it into the QT when needed.

The only downside is that from a mechanical standpoint it’s non existent, just like Carmelo Anthony’s defense. If you want crystal clear water, you won’t get it from a sponge.

Gypsy13
I think sponge filters are great. They hold a lot of B.B. I have one in my 90g that basically for QT purposes. I pull out of the tank and plop it into the QT when needed.

The only downside is that from a mechanical standpoint it’s non existent, just like Carmelo Anthony’s defense. If you want crystal clear water, you won’t get it from a sponge.

How bout a sponge and a canister? I’ve never used anything but undergravel. The new ones are just sad. Absolutely nothing like I used before. So I’m soaking a sponge in my 29 now for the new (used) 40L. You think a canister and a sponge and plants?

I’m thinking for the price and the amount of filtration, they’re fabulous!

Hunter1

I love the @Carmelo Anthony “ anology.

pugletfan
I agree that sponge filters are great. My only complaint is the noise of the air pump. I appreciate a very quiet aquarium. My 29 runs with a 12 year old Marineland Penguin 330 hob filter that is very quiet for a hob filter. I have tried adding a sponge filter before but haven't liked the hum of the air pump.

bgclarke
Some sponge filters can be run using powerheads instead of air pumps, so they air quieter.

Fashooga
How bout a sponge and a canister? I’ve never used anything but undergravel. The new ones are just sad. Absolutely nothing like I used before. So I’m soaking a sponge in my 29 now for the new (used) 40L. You think a canister and a sponge and plants?

That's what my set up is for the 90g. It's on a canister system but I only put the sponge in the tank cause I hate pulling out the canister and lug it back into cabin it belongs to. By putting it into the tank I only sacrifice the look of the tank but at the same time it falls in the "Work smarter, not harder" range.

Gypsy13
That's what my set up is for the 90g. It's on a canister system but I only put the sponge in the tank cause I hate pulling out the canister and lug it back into cabin it belongs to. By putting it into the tank I only sacrifice the look of the tank but at the same time it falls in the "Work smarter, not harder" range.

I’m all for that. I’m ordering another two so when my 40 is ready that sponge will be ready. I just added the HOB to my 29. Hoping it helps. Haven’t ever seen a yucky sponge so the 40’s sponge doesn’t look so bad. According to hubby. Getting ready to build a cabinet for the 29. When I move it, I want a sponge up and working. That’s when I’ll remove the undergravel filter. Thanks for your advice! Very much appreciated.

Hunter1
I have had yucky sponges. I started 2 different dirty tanks. After adding the potting mix and 2 sponge filters. I ran the tank for a week before I capped with sand. The sponges were terrible. But they clean easily.

Normally I clean one of the 2 double sponges every other week so they get cleaned each month (tank water). When you clean them, you realize how much junk they actually collect.

Gypsy13
I have had yucky sponges. I started 2 different dirty tanks. After adding the potting mix and 2 sponge filters. I ran the tank for a week before I capped with sand. The sponges were terrible. But they clean easily.

Normally I clean one of the 2 double sponges every other week so they get cleaned each month (tank water). When you clean them, you realize how much junk they actually collect.

I can’t wait to start this one up in my 29. It’s only been soaking in there a week though. I so want to try the potting soil and sand. Too different from what I’m used to.

Hunter1
My jury is still out on dirty tanks.

The diatoms are off the hook. I put a nerite or 2 in both tanks and routinely rub the diatoms off of the plant leaves with my fingers.

But the growth is good. And it’s cheap; BDBS and potting mix is cheap.

But my tank with eco-complete, flourite capped with BDBS is way cleaner, good plant growth, no leeching of tannins.

But over $100.00 of substrate for a 20 gallon tank.

Gypsy13
My jury is still out on dirty tanks.

The diatoms are off the hook. I put a nerite or 2 in both tanks and routinely rub the diatoms off of the plant leaves with my fingers.

But the growth is good. And it’s cheap; BDBS and potting mix is cheap.

But my tank with eco-complete, flourite capped with BDBS is way cleaner, good plant growth, no leeching of tannins.

But over $100.00 of substrate for a 20 gallon tank.

Wow! Expensive stuff these days! I found a pretty dark blue and bright blue fancy guppy. 83$! For a guppy. Now I love mine and to me they’re worth a fortune. But breeders and sellers have just got to be kidding!
I’m going to stick with what I know. Gravel. Do want more plants though.

tropez
I run two sponges only and I have pretty darn clear water.

JSj1OLwh.jpg

Gypsy13
I run two sponges only and I have pretty darn clear water.

View attachment 423494

Sounds beautiful! The center plant sounds interesting. The whole tank sounds interesting. I do want plants in my 40L!

Gypsy13
Sounds beautiful! The center plant sounds interesting. The whole tank sounds interesting. I do want plants in my 40L!

: )

tropez
WOW! Amazing looking tank, you did a really good job on the setup.

That's very kind of you to say, thank you!

Eric360

If you have a canister, you could load it with Matrix or Biohome and have a lot more area for BB than a sponge. lol I would think if you have a canister, you'd just put a sponge in to have a mobile cycle for a spare tank. I have almost 8L of Matrix in my sunsun 404B ($94, 704B $98 definitely bang for the buck), pretty sure that's quite a bit more BB housing than a sponge filter.

Fish-keeper
gonna promote these.

I t takes a pretty big filter to have as much space for beneficial bacteria as a sponge filter.

I have one...or 3 in every tank I have.

For new tanks, I mount the holder on the walk and move one sponge from different tanks, add water, instant cycle.

CHEAP! Just a $15 airpump and a $8 sponge filter.

ONLY DOWNSIDE: they are unsightly. If you have plants. Plant in front of the filters.

Thoughts?

I personally think that sponge filters are only good for fry I feel that they do not clean the tanks as well as an internal or external filter or sump.

Ioana Dog

E19D194B-A907-40C6-9ACA-CBE05EFCC008.jpeg I have a HOB aquaclear and sponge filters in my 10g, 15 g, two 20 g and 45 g. I get the double sided sponge filters with the pipe so it’s quieter and I can clean one side at a time or take one to start a new tank. Only problem is that I tried a cheaper brand from a company in China (the seller is aquaneat) from Amazon and they killed almost all my fish in an established 10 gallon and 45 gallon. Within hours of putting them in the tanks the fish were gasping for air but there was no ammo is or nitrites in the water

bgclarke
I have the "aquaneat" double sponge filters in my 10, 16, and 20 gallon tanks.
No issues with them.
I rinsed them well before putting them in the tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Pariah
Replies
Views
cdwag29
Replies
Views
Leslie3388
Replies