Sponge Filters Any Good?

1. Can't Find Nemo

Can't Find Nemo Member Member

Been looking at Sponge filters.

I'm moving into a bit smaller apartment and instead of having a completely separate room I can put my tanks in, I'm have to put them in the same room as either my tv or my bedroom.

So wanting something that's quieter than the over the back filter I've been using. Is a sponge filters a good filter? I assume it's quieter than over the back but have people on here had a good experience with them?

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

They are good from what I understand. They are just another way to filter. They are very limited compared to canisters. You can not use carbon or other specialized mediums.

3. C

Cardeater Member Member

They work well but some people are more annoyed by air pump noise and/or bubble noise than they are with the waterfall sound.

You'd have to figure out which annoyed you less.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

There are costs and benefits to using a sponge filter.
    A). It’s a great way to hold beneficial bacteria.
    B). It’s cheap and easy to set up.
    C). Easy to clean.
    D). Aeration.

The cost of it is:
    A). If you want crystal clear floating fish look...sponges won’t give you that.
    B.) they don’t look great at all.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What sizes are the tanks? Canisters might be a good option - they should be very quiet.

6. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

What size tanks?
    Which sponge filters were you considering?
    Some sponge filters produce bigger bubbles, thus more noise (unless you can fit them with an airstone).

I have 6 tanks running in my living room: 2 of them run solely on sponge filters (7.5g), 2 of them with sponge filters plus a corner filter (10g & 16g).
    Another one has an HOB plus a sponge filter (20g)

I'm bothered by noise, so it took a bit of tinkering with various air pumps to get it the way I liked.

7. OP
    OP
    Can't Find Nemo

Can't Find Nemo Member Member

Mine is 20 long. I was right now more of looking at the general types of them, such as the ones you see on the PetSmart and Amazon websites.

8. C

Cardeater Member Member

I like the ATI sponges, though I'd recommend the "Pro" version with coarser material. They were more expensive on Amazon. This local place had the best price but I picked up so didn't have to pay shipping. They price match off amazon or other retailers. They give you price and subtract and additional 10% of the difference. Aquacave.com.

I remember there was another online store that had them cheap but forgot which one.

I use a never clog airstone that I got from Aquarium Coop with it. As mentioned above, if you don't use an airstone the bubbles can be bigger and louder.

9. T

ThePuzzleMaker Member Member

Sponge filters are awesome. the only con to having sponge filters is that the airpump could be noisy or you just like the look of it in your tank. Besides that it holds a butload of beneficial bacteria and is fry and shrimp safe. Also it provides loads of surfice agitation/aeration

10. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Member Member

Each of my tanks has two filters, one sponge filter, and one alternate media filter. The sponge filters come in many varieties, I prefer the high flow powerful ones that have a very high turnover. Most of them have an optional air intake too, so that saves a noisy air pump, but they're loud when used with air. Some of them can have things like carbon in them, the alternate filter in my betta tank is actually a sponge filter with a hollow sponge for things like charcoal or purigen, but the second filter in my big tank is mostly just purigen and those white hard things that hold bacteria. Just be careful which you get, if it only has holes in the bottom for example it won't be anywhere near as efficient and will need more constant cleaning as there's only one small opening to get blocked. I definately use sponge filters to clean solid waste from the tank, but always keep a second one for keeping the water clear and cycled more effectively. You could try this too.

11. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Forgot to mention that some sponge filters can be run with powerheads, so you avoid the air pump noise.

12. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Member Member

... I honestly didn't know there were sponge filters without power heads. I was talking about power head sponge filters only. >_>

13. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

What kind of HOB filters do you have? Is the noise from the waterfall or the motor? In my opinion, the guaranteed bubbling sound is going to be pretty annoying if you’re bothered by the current sounds. They’re great and cheap though, I have them in all my tanks along with HOB/canisters.

14. C

Cardeater Member Member

I have a giant double stacked sponge filter run by an Aquaclear 70 powerhead. It is way quieter than the air driven sponge I have. Well, thats if i turn off the Venturi tube. I keep it open for the extra aeration and I like the bubbles.

IMG_20180507_191006.jpg

The good thing about my air driven sponge is I have a Penn Plax backup pump attached with a y splitter (and check valve is before the split for the backup and regular pump). If the power goes off, the battery pump (which only cost like $9) turns on and runs off two D batteries. I'll still have aeration and filtration going.

15. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I agree with Texasdomer, if you want complete silence consider a canister... they a lot quieter than hobs and sponge filters - even powerhead driven ones from my experiences.