Sponge filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by upgrade, Apr 1, 2010.

1. upgrade

upgrade Valued Member Member

Alright guys for all you that have been helping me out thanks again here is another one for you.

My angelfish tank is fully cycled, i put a Sponge filter in their to soak up some bacteria.

Question: How long will the sponge filter need to be running in that tank for it to get the good bacteria in it? (so it can be placed into another tank as a seed)

Thanks!:;thx

Attached Files:

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I do the same on my set ups. I would leave it there for 3 to 5 days.

3. OP
    OP
    upgrade

That's all? Would of thought it would take like a few weeks lol, Thanks

4. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

I let sponge filter sit at least two weeks in healthy tank. That's what I consider the minimum time. I keep extra media stuffed in most of my filters for any emergency. I doubt it will be fully seeded in three to five days.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Alright that sounds better , i didn't think it grew that fast. If it did the cycle would be over in days.

:;hfThanks!

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I agree with Pepetj. A minimum of 2 weeks to seed new filter media/sponges. I prefer a month. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    PLEASE remember............

KEn

7. OP
    OP
    upgrade

thanks aquarist48, you have posted with good advice on every one of my threads so far :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice