Sponge filter

Paytonfish

I have some questions about sponge filters. Currently I have a hang on back filter (I believe tetra whisper?) and I have been looking into switching to a sponge filter.

I have a 20 gallon tank, with 3 tetras, a golden algae eater, and 2 freshwater pom Pom crabs.
I also have Anubias nana, a moss ball, and wanting to get amazon sword.

Can I switch to just a sponge filter and nothing else? Would that be enough?

also, would I need to let the sponge filter run with my HOB filter so that it can build the beneficial bacteria and keep my tank cycled?

redmare

I switched my 10 gallon betta tank and 5 gallon shrimp tank both to sponges from HOBs in the past few months. For the 10 I ran both for about 3 weeks. For the 5 I took a bunch of the nice dirty sponges out of the HOB and wrapped them around the sponge filter with elastic, and took the HOB out right away. I haven't noticed any problems with my parameters! And that tank has like 300 shrimp so they have a considerable bioload that I would have noticed. I have no idea if this is a tried and true method, but I did it and it worked!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

One big sponge will do the job of holding enough bacteria.
However having two smaller or same sized sponges will make it more relaxing when cleaning out sponge filters as one is cleaned one is left untouched.

Upvote 0

Foxxway

Tbh, I've been running both and as a newer user of sponges, I think they're better. For one thing, they're not hogging a spot on a power strip bc the basement doesn't have many sockets. 2nd, if you have a powerful enough air pump, they're quiet, don't need to constantly buy new filter cartridges, easy to clean, holds good bacteria, shrimp and snails love them AND shrimp/snail babies don't get stuck in them.
I actually am looking for a good heavy-duty air pump, so if anyone knows of a good deal, hmu.

Upvote 0

Paytonfish

One big sponge will do the job of holding enough bacteria.
However having two smaller or same sized sponges will make it more relaxing when cleaning out sponge filters as one is cleaned one is left untouched.

Sweet, thanks for replying!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
FloatyGimpy
Replies
Views