Sponge Filter Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Guppyapocalypse, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Guppyapocalypse

GuppyapocalypseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    My issues with cycling are probably pretty well know on here right now. My question pertains to this sponge filter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Aquapapa-Cor...r&qid=1568152206&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1#
    I seem some customization room in this but is going to do what i need for protecting the BB so i quit crashing my cycles.
    I am buying for two 10g and one 20g and will be using them with the aqua-tech filters

Also i did figure out part of my ammonia problem. It seems the AquaSafe dechlorinator was adding .50-1.5ppm ammonia back in. It might be partly my tap water. I will be testing it without the conditioner
    I take that back. There is ammonia in my tap water.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,486
    Experience:
    2 years
    having more than 1 filter per tank is a good thing.

3. DannyPritchett01

DannyPritchett01New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    I personally use a larger filter than I need. I use one of the big sponge filters suitable for a 55 gallon tank for a 10 gallon tank. I prefer more than less.

4. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +249
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @Guppyapocalypse, what exactly was your question? The "sponge" filter you linked is very small. I wouldn't count on it providing filtration for more than a couple gallons.

5. OP
    OP
    Guppyapocalypse

GuppyapocalypseValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    That link is an example. The one i am looking at says up to 20g, but it will be used more to house the BB along with the aqua-tech filter i already have in place
    My question was would the one in the link suit my purposes?
    I will be putting the biomax ceramic rings in the aqua-tech as well

6. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +249
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think you'd be better off getting a regular sponge filter. Swiss Tropicals has some very good ones, though they are more expensive than much of the competition. One of the reasons I recommend them is their use of the Czech lift tube design in both their Cubelifter and Jetlifter. These move a very impressive amount of water if you pump enough air into them.

Become a Fishlore Member