Sponge filter

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey just wondering if someone could help me choose a sponge filter that would be strong enough for my tank

I saw one of these on eBay and there dead cheap !
But would that be big enough ?
My tank is a 20g with about 30 rcs
And 10 neon tetras,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356676358.338437.jpg

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, yes that sponge is sufficient. They are pretty neat, just remember to squeeze out the filter material every week or two, if the flow gets blocked by crud then it's not going to perform well.

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the quick reply jeta, if you have any experience in sponge filters if there is any way to silence them ? Like the noise the bubbles make is very hard to sleep with it because the tank is in my room

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not really. It sounds like a mad scientist's lab in my garage. A tight fitting lid would probably cut down on a lot of the noise but that's all I can think of.

Joel2036

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh ok thank you jeta I might give it a go and if it is too loud I'll just go back to the normal filter, just worried because the filter was on a 8g and I know it will really over filtering, but now I think it may be ok because my tank is under stocked, does that make sense to you ?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah an undersized filter isn't good but it's not a huge deal if the tank is lightly stocked.

grfresconero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goday mate , usually those filter`s got a small hole that take in air and mix it with the water flow,
i got three ,so i plunged them and got air stone for bubbles which i cut down or turn of at night,
you can also connect it to your Light timer+air stone..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom