Sponge filter weight material leak

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I inspected my sponge filter today during the cleanup of bladder snail eggs and. I found this- haven’t seen it before. My sponge filters are second hand so they are all cracked at the bottom with rust sealing the crack- used it like this for a year, no casualties I know of directly related to this issue- but I found this black liquid or material of some kind leaking out- it seems to have stained the bottom, and if you smudge it hard enough the stain stains your finger- I’m fairly sure I don’t want this so I have backup sponge filter weights to replace it with-
-
Can someone identify what is leaking out?
41CDBB16-D83A-4458-841B-63C2B2E5F34D.jpeg

E3A1CCBD-EBCD-409F-B58A-0DF399C71241.jpeg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a replacement bust it open and find out! I couldn't find anything on google either.

OP
FinalFins

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
StarGirl said:
If you have a replacement bust it open and find out! I couldn't find anything on google either.
I'm thinking of taking the defective one and taking a hammer & nail to it but the possibility it could be something like lead or some heavy metal?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess is that it may be from the water getting inside and that is whats growing inside of there.

It would be interesting to see what is inside of there - I wouldn't worry too much if you were to find it was lead. Obviously there are health concerns associated but that is going to be more with long term exposure.

New Threads