Sponge Filter Vs Airstone

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by C_mats54, Jul 20, 2017.

1. C_mats54

C_mats54Valued MemberMember

What's the difference between a sponge filter and an airstone, and should I consider getting either of them in addition to my HOB's?

Thank you!

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

What's the difference between an engine and a car? They're not similar things.

Sponge filters are filters made of sponges, that uses the movement of bubbles to draw water through the sponge to provide a small amount of mechanical and biological filtration.

An air stone is a lump of stone with bubbles coming out of it.

3. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

An airstone is just that a stone air pumps through.

A sponge filter uses an air stone to draw water up with the bubbles and through the sponge which acts as a filter and place to grow BB

4. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

An airstone is a object (if you actually look at it its not a stone) that is attached to the end of the airline tube to release air and create bubbles.

A sponge filter is simply a filter that uses a sponge for mechanical and biological filtration.

5. OP
    OP
    C_mats54

C_mats54Valued MemberMember

Wouldn't have asked if I knew the answer pal!
    Thank you!

6. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Get a nice airstone, have a nice bubble curtain, sponge filters are good to have running and cycled but i feel its an eye sore in your display tank. 3f71bcbe6251579a7f005f25ac036167.jpg you can see a sponge filter in my fry tank and the bubble curtain in my 55, i found this to be the best air stone as it leaks no air. 28760849d7629d46a6e371ae3581b510.png you can find them on wish.com double air pumps are always good too 3dc1fd8856b6e1bfcfdbe5696f765391.jpg .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice