Sponge Filter Vs Airstone

1. C_mats54 Member Member

What's the difference between a sponge filter and an airstone, and should I consider getting either of them in addition to my HOB's?

Thank you!
  2. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

What's the difference between an engine and a car? They're not similar things.

Sponge filters are filters made of sponges, that uses the movement of bubbles to draw water through the sponge to provide a small amount of mechanical and biological filtration.

An air stone is a lump of stone with bubbles coming out of it.

3. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

An airstone is just that a stone air pumps through.

A sponge filter uses an air stone to draw water up with the bubbles and through the sponge which acts as a filter and place to grow BB
  4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

An airstone is a object (if you actually look at it its not a stone) that is attached to the end of the airline tube to release air and create bubbles.

A sponge filter is simply a filter that uses a sponge for mechanical and biological filtration.

5. C_mats54 Member Member

Wouldn't have asked if I knew the answer pal!
    Thank you!
  6. grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Get a nice airstone, have a nice bubble curtain, sponge filters are good to have running and cycled but i feel its an eye sore in your display tank. 3f71bcbe6251579a7f005f25ac036167.jpg you can see a sponge filter in my fry tank and the bubble curtain in my 55, i found this to be the best air stone as it leaks no air. 28760849d7629d46a6e371ae3581b510.png you can find them on wish.com double air pumps are always good too 3dc1fd8856b6e1bfcfdbe5696f765391.jpg .