Sponge Filter Noise

Nate C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just replaced my cartridge filter with a sponge filter because expert at my LFS said to. The tank is in my room and the pump is not that loud but annoying. Any suggestions on how to make it quieter or if I can turn it off when I sleep?

Nate C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's one from petsmart that advertised being quiet

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you know what specific kind?

Or could you upload a picture of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't turn it off. Your bacteria need oxygen and water movement and without it you could run into a mini cycle. You might could look into a submersible filter, I have found them to be virtually silent. Since they are entirely under the water, the water completely muffles the noise.

Levibeast

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My airpump doesn't really make noise, but the bubbles from my sponge filter makes a lot of noise!

Chaory

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you want quiet, then get a canister or a quiet HOB. Air pump will always make noise, either from the pump itself or from the bubbles that it creates with a sponge filter or air stone.

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I just replaced my cartridge filter with a sponge filter because expert at my LFS said to. The tank is in my room and the pump is not that loud but annoying. Any suggestions on how to make it quieter or if I can turn it off when I sleep?
Get rid of it and replace it with an internal or canister filter is about the only really effective way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom