Sponge filter in small tank with fry

Adam510

So I got a sponge filter meant for tanks up to 10 gallon and an air pump for 2-10 gallon for a separate tank meant for 2 platy fry. The bubbles are coming out way too fast and idk what to do because I have nowhere else to put the fry, for now the filter is off and I’m debating what do I do. The tank is a 2.5 gallon with just 2 platy fry in it. No filters for sale in my area for this size tank

awilkinson871

I put a check valve on my tubing after the air pump and before the tube goes into the tank. That way I can adjust the amount of air going in.

Upvote 0

Adam510

I put a check valve on my tubing after the air pump and before the tube goes into the tank. That way I can adjust the amount of air going in.
Oh okay, I could see if there’s any of those at the store near me, if not should I order a smaller air pump or sponge? Or both? I’m new to sponge filters it’s just what I have now plus I heard there good with fry so they don’t get taken in it

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I would stick with what you have in case you ever upgrade the tank. You can get a check valve from Petsmart. You just cut the tubing and attach to each end. There is a knob you turn to reduce or increase the air flow.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

A smaller air pump, a smaller sponge filter wouldn't do anything really for flow. But most places sell check valves.

Upvote 0

Adam510

I would stick with what you have in case you ever upgrade the tank. You can get a check valve from Petsmart. You just cut the tubing and attach to each end. There is a knob you turn to reduce or increase the air flow.
Ok thanks I’ll go check mine and see if they have it

image.jpg
This is the size of the sponge compared to the fish and tank idk if that changes your guys mind

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

correct me if I'm wrong but I think you want a control valve not a check valve.Control valve has the knob for adjusting air flow while a check valve is for stopping water from traveling back through your airline and potentially damaging your pump.

Upvote 0

Adam510

correct me if I'm wrong but I think you want a control valve not a check valve.Control valve has the knob for adjusting air flow while a check valve is for stopping water from traveling back through your airline and potentially damaging your pump.
Ya I think your right, I don’t have any of those in the petsmart in my city tho, I went out and bought a smaller air pump but it still seems fast
Can the faster air flow kill my fish? There so small I feel like it stresses them out and I’m worried, do I keep the filter on or go without one and try to order a smaller one online?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

A control valve is 100% necessary on almost all pumps . As is a bleed off air line WITH another control valve on it. Without bleed off unused air the pump will have back pressure. The back pressure will shorten the life of an pump.
Its always important to have a spare pump so that was not a wasted purchase.

Bleeding off air from any pump is something you can research now or learn the hard way.

A link on the importance of bleeding off unused air.

Upvote 0

LurkingontheReg

Not sure why you're set on using a smaller pump. With a tank that small you'll probably still run into issues with the flow. Control valve is what you need. Or, since you said you couldn't find any at Petsmart, maybe try a small gang valve? They have built-in control valves.
Links in case you're like me and tend to overlook things when shopping.

Top Fin® 2-Way Aquarium Gang Valve | fish Air & Water Pumps | PetSmart

Edit: I vaguely remember someone having similar issues and they used a plastic takeout container lid to ease up the bubbles. Like, cut a hole just big enough to pull the airline tubing through and situated the lid at the water line to catch the bubbles. Not sure how well it worked out.

Upvote 0

Adam510

Not sure why you're set on using a smaller pump. With a tank that small you'll probably still run into issues with the flow. Control valve is what you need. Or, since you said you couldn't find any at Petsmart, maybe try a small gang valve? They have built-in control valves.
Links in case you're like me and tend to overlook things when shopping.
Top Fin® Aquarium Airline Connector Kit | fish Air & Water Pumps | PetSmart
Top Fin® 2-Way Aquarium Gang Valve | fish Air & Water Pumps | PetSmart

Edit: I vaguely remember someone having similar issues and they used a plastic takeout container lid to ease up the bubbles. Like, cut a hole just big enough to pull the airline tubing through and situated the lid at the water line to catch the bubbles. Not sure how well it worked out.
Neither of those items are in the petsmart near me, I kept the filter on all last night and I woke up and there fine and I even saw them getting sucked up by the bubbles and getting pushed around and I don’t think they minded too much, I just turn it off when I’m feeding them so the food stays still and they can get it

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
Replies
Views
Skrabbitskrabbit
  • Question
Replies
Views