Sponge filter in large tank only

Gern

So I have a 55g DT / 37g sump that I will be setting up shortly..

Can I just use a 125g sponge filter only?

I will have pods/phyto etc. I am just worried about them getting filtered out

Jesterrace

I'm not a fan of sponge filters on marine tanks. Anything beyond a filter sock/floss or something that you maintain or replace frequently should be avoided as anything that traps stuff is very prone to being problematic.

Upvote 0

Gern

Are you saying it would be a good idea to pull my power filter out all together when I add the sump on? I am just worried about beneficial bacteria at that point..

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Are you saying it would be a good idea to pull my power filter out all together when I add the sump on? I am just worried about beneficial bacteria at that point..
I am not versed at all in saltwater, but if it's like fresh, you could just move the media down to the sump.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

Keep in mind your biofilter is in your live rock in a saltwater tank and not the filter media as it is in freshwater, so the filter media/sponge doesn't matter much. Are you in the process of an upgrade or starting a saltwater tank from scratch?

Upvote 0

Gern

I am, though the water in my sump is a bit more mature, I just havent transfered everything over yet

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Colbyxxs
  • Question
Replies
Views
kcaskew