Sponge filter for cycling and how to hook up

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK! I HAVE A NEW TANK!

I have a new tank and I am not going to put fish into it to cycle it. (I have had such a lot of trouble with anything but healthy fish from stitchfish@adelphia.com(mikeswetpets in Lancaster, NY). I got Noel there and he is SO healthy and happy and active.
    I read that if you put a sponge filter in a healthy cycled tank for a week and then transfer it to the new tank, it will cycle your new tank. I don't care how long it takes because I won't be ordering my new fish until warmer weather. The tank will be constantly running until then and I will be using the StressZyme also to help keep the bacteria active. It is a 3 gallon Marineland Eclipse with a BioWheel filter and I can leave the chemical, mechanical, and biological filters all in the tank the whole time. (As well as the sponge filter).
    The only problem I have is how do you set up the sponge filters in the tank? They say they need an airstone and an air pump. The pump I have and the air stone I have but how to put them all together I do not know. I bought 2 different kinds both the small round kinds meant for tanks up to 5 gallons. One is white foam and the other gray. They both say they do not remove medications (not that there will be any), but one calls itself a dual action filter.

I know there are some of you out there who use sponge filters and I may add some to my tanks in addition to the other filters already there. If you have any advice, it is appreciated.

Thanks & a belated Happy New Year :D

Rose

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

How exciting Rose! I still haven'g figured out where the airstone is supposed to go in any of my sponge filters. I simply put the air hose where it's supposed to go according to the directions, and turn it on. Which sponge filter did you get? Can you post a picture? Also, the stresszyme won't keep your bacteria alive. You would be better off adding pure clear ammonia to the tank until you are ready for your new fishie! The ammonia will also fully cycle your tank. ;)

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yep all of my sponge filters just use the tubing also. Sounds like MTS has struck Rose :D Welcome to the dark side my friend ;D
    Carol

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

The ammonia does make a lot of sense. I wondered how to manage the ammonia without the fish, but I heard such horrible stories about what a mean thing it was to put fish into tanks to make them cycle tanks. Then I heard about this floating the sponge filters so..... I will try to post pictures of the filters but if I cannot I will tell you they are from http://www.thatfishplace.com and they are the smallest circular filters I could get.

Yes I have MTS big time! In fact, I started a 4th tank [2.5 gallon with an undergravel filter :mad:], but JUST for the Pellia plants I got from Singapore today. I am quarantining EVERYTHING after the fiasco with Ottos! Besides those plants are so DELICATE they are almost like onion skin and they need to hefty up a little before they are ready for fish. It is in my bedroom so it doesn't take up more space in the den thank goodness. (Maybe I can eventually have a 4th fishie of some kind if I get another filter for that tank. (don't trust those undergravel ones) Well, here goes, as everyone knows I do NOT have the best track record at the pictures but I shall give it a try. :p

Rose

5. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rose I noticed in their instructions it said to rinse the filter in tap water once a month :eek: :eek: :eek:. But we know the secret is to rinse in USED TANK water right? all together gang Chant
    used tank water-used tank water-used tank water -used tank water
    i don't know why they would say that!!! oh well :D
    Now the second one attaches to the air line like mine does.
    You will love your sponge filters.
    Carol

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

wow rose that's great! cool! 8)

8. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I am really looking forward to them. the only tank they really won't work real well with is the vase Noel is in as the smallest one is 3" x 1" and that is a little big for him. I am wondering if they can be cut down. Besides he has a new Marineland Duetto Mini that has a sponge filter incorporated inside that is impregnated with Bio-spira. It says NOT to change the sponge filter for at least 21 days or until water won't flow through the filter so that basically sounds like a regular sponge filter anyway. The only difference is it has an electric pump and charcoal filter (seperate), and smaller sponge filter that catches larger debris that can be rinsed more frequently. I am not a fan of charcoal so there are other media that can be used instead. (I use White Diamond and an nylon fiber 100 micron pad) I make White Diamond "tea bags" out of coffee filters with my sewing machine. (what we do when we love our fishies! :D :D :D)

I will let you know how all this works, it's doing really great so far.

Rose