Sponge filter for 20 and 1.5 gallon? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by AquaticBrandon, Jul 22, 2015.

1. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking of buying a sponge filter for my 20 gallon and 1.5 gallon. The 20 gallon has a HOB filter and the 1.5 has an internal filter. Both of these tanks are shrimp tanks. I was wondering which kind of sponge filters would you guys recommend? Will any work? I know I've seen a few on eBay, but I'm not sure which ones to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

I'm thinking of replacing the filters. I'm guessing with one Air Pump you can run several sponge filters? That should be easier than running several HOB's which take up more space for outlets

4. DanB80TTS

I am running two sponge filters using one dual outlet pump, but I think you can use gang valves to power more from a single outlet but you would probably need a stronger pump for more lines.

Is there a reason you want to replace the HOB? If you don't already you could just get a prefilter sponge for the intake, I assume you already have one if it is a shrimp tank though.
    I do like that I use only one plug to run two filters though, and at the same time the pump in oxygen.

5. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

That's kinda the reason why I want to switch to sponge filters. That I can use one plug to run 2 filters. I need the other outlets for heaters, lights etc.

6. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The dual sponge filters like what Dan linked work great. They have a larger size and a smaller size, so one of both would be good for your situation.

You can find them on ebay too, for super cheap.

7. DanB80TTS

Yeh outlets are an issue with aquariums. That filter I linked you to would be far to big for a 1.5 but a 20 would work. What shrimp are in the tanks?

8. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

In my 20 gallon I have Fire Red Cherry shrimp and in my 1.5 gallon I have regular cherry shrimp. Dolfan, do you think these sponge filters would work?  

9. BullRider

BullRider Valued Member Member

I just thought I would toss in that I personally love that style of filter. I got mine off eBay and have had no regrets and my shrimpies seem to approve constantly feeding off them.

One benefit I see of the dual filter versions is that if I need to clean a filter, I can do one at a time and propose it has less of an effect of any biological filtration that might be taking place.

To clean them, I use two gallon jug with fresh tank water and (wearing gloves) submerge the foam filter and squeeze repeatedly. The water will get quite nasty. I then have smaller jug with some fresh water and to a final "rinse" squeeze there.

I've had them for a couple of years and haven't replaced any yet. The foam is still good as new.

One observation that I have when using a single air pump with, in my case, three filters in three tanks, is that I have to re-balance the air flow periodically. When the pores of one starts to fill up, I have to increase the air pressure until I can get in there and clean it.

In addition, it seems that if I change the depth of a filter, re-balancing might also be necessary.

Another observation is that if the output pipe is underwater and you turn off the air supply, some adventurous shrimpie may journey into the tube. After all, shrimps are shrimps. Still, it is a rude awakening when the pressure returns, so a little patience is suggested so that they don't jump and run for the hills, so to speak.

(Dang... how many 80's song titles ended up in that last paragraph! Maybe I shouldn't post at 3 AM!!)

10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I use ones like #11 in my fry & shrimp tanks, the fry like to rest under & on top of them & they all feed off the insuforia.

11. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Okay thanks guy. I'll check some out on eBay, I'll look into the dual sponge filter. Also, do you guys think a sponge filter that is rated for 10 gallons be okay for a 1.5 gallon tank?

12. BullRider

BullRider Valued Member Member

I have both sizes. I have the larger one in my 20 gallons and the smaller in my remaining 10 gallons and have used the smaller ones in my 2 gallon isolation tank. Here is a photo of the small one in a 10 gallon beta tank:

[​IMG]

For the 2 gallon, size wasn't problem but then again, it was just an isolation tank. Personally, I think it would be too big for a tank that I would want to set up and look nice. Sure, you can push the output shaft down and all, but it is a large rather ugly. If looks are not important, the shrimps will love it. It will give them a large surface area that they'll climb / crawl all over the sponge.
    Coradee mentioned #11 in the Drs F/S link you provided. I think one along those lines would be easier to disguise / hide in the tank.

#8 might also be a possibility, too.

And for reference, here is the place I bought mine from (and a few other things)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-...h-Tank-Double-Head-XY-2831-2822-/261031147031

Plus they're close to you...

13. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

I like those that you have. I'm thinking of getting them. Also, I don't mind if they are bulky or a little too big as I have these tanks set up for breeding. Thanks:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice