Sponge Filter During Water Changes

peachsonas

Just a general question that never really occurred to me. I started out with an HOB but I quickly made the switch to a sponge filter and haven't looked back. It's become a force of habit to turn off my filter and heater during water changes. I understand why it's completely necessary to turn the heater off, but what about the sponge filter? Could I just leave that running without any serious (or any) issues arising? I assume because there's no motor or parts that would suffer if it ran out of water it would be fine? Just a wondering question.

MoshJosh

Just leave them running. . . and move your heater to the bottom of the tank. . . :cool:

ProudPapa

I'm with MoshJosh. Move your heater to the bottom of your tank, even if you have to put it horizontal instead of vertical, and don't turn anything off. I don't even turn off my HOB's during water changes, since I don't remove enough water for it to get below the end of the intake tubes.

Fisch

I am curious for a good reason to shut down sponge filters during water changes...
The only reason I could see is to prevent that some of the muck stirred up during waterchanges get stuck in the sponge, prevent good water flow and look ugly.
I myself don't shut off filters during water changes.

peachsonas

Thanks everyone! I’ll move my heater to the bottom and I’ll leave everything on when I change from now on :cool:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesslynne7
Replies
Views
Beermann
  • Question
Replies
Views
LizStreithorst
Replies