Sponge Filter Assistance

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i have an established 10 gal and i want to quickly start up my 29 gallon. Can i add not only some gravel and a little bit of fish food and water conditioner to the tank but an ordinary sponge from my 10 gallon? I currently do not have a sponge in my tank right now but if i was to add one how long would it take for bacteria to colonize in the sponge so that i can put it in my 29 gallon?

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aphelion0 said:
I'm doing a similar thing at the moment. I believe beneficial bacteria takes about 2-3 weeks to colonise on a new filter in an established tank.
Dope so i can just go get a new sponge out of my kitchen and stick it in? Also if i add some gravel from my established 10 gal to my new 29 gal will that work to?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettaFishKeeper4302 said:
Dope so i can just go get a new sponge out of my kitchen and stick it in? Also if i add some gravel from my established 10 gal to my new 29 gal will that work to?
Be sure that the sponge isn’t used, and doesn’t contain any chemicals or soaps.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding gravel wont add bacteria, it lives in your filter media. Adding a sponge from your 10, as long as its been in your 10 for a month or more, will help speed up the process. HOWEVER, you need to keep the bioload in the new tank similar to that of the 10 or the sponge from the 10 wont be able to keep up.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DuaneV said:
Adding gravel wont add bacteria, it lives in your filter media. Adding a sponge from your 10, as long as its been in your 10 for a month or more, will help speed up the process. HOWEVER, you need to keep the bioload in the new tank similar to that of the 10 or the sponge from the 10 wont be able to keep up.
Yeah i am just gonna get bio spira and some searchem prime.

Fishie_Mom

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You have to be careful with kitchen sponges. Most of them say on the package not safe for aquariums. They are impregnated with anti-bacterial chemicals and soaps that cannot be rinsed off.

You can use crafting foam or anything like that, that hasn’t been sprayed with flame retardants.

If you are going to cycle your 10g from scratch, add a couple extra sponge filters. That way you have extra always ready in case you need it. Best practice is to keep 1 or 2 extra sponge filters going at all times.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DuaneV said:
That isn't completely true. Plenty of bacteria lives in the gravel just like it does in the filter. Although it would probably mini cycle if you used just gravel.

Fishie_Mom said:
You have to be careful with kitchen sponges. Most of them say on the package not safe for aquariums. They are impregnated with anti-bacterial chemicals and soaps that cannot be rinsed off.

You can use crafting foam or anything like that, that hasn’t been sprayed with flame retardants.

If you are going to cycle your 10g from scratch, add a couple extra sponge filters. That way you have extra always ready in case you need it. Best practice is to keep 1 or 2 extra sponge filters going at all times.
Probably bad practice but i always use a normal kitchen sponge when cleaning my aquarium glass. Guess i have just been lucky? But now you mention that I'm going to pick up an aquarium scrubber sponge.

But for the OP a good alternative would be plastic pot scrubbers. These are fish safe and actually provide more colonization space for beneficial bacteria than aquarium sponges, bio balls and even ceramic rings.

Its shocking how effective and cheap the pot scrubbers are as filtration media. They are popular in large tank builds and pond filtration systems.

Fishie_Mom

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ParrotCichlid said:
That isn't completely true. Plenty of bacteria lives in the gravel just like it does in the filter. Although it would probably mini cycle if you used just gravel.

Probably bad practice but i always use a normal kitchen sponge when cleaning my aquarium glass. Guess i have just been lucky? But now you mention that I'm going to pick up an aquarium scrubber sponge.

But for the OP a good alternative would be plastic pot scrubbers. These are fish safe and actually provide more colonization space for beneficial bacteria than aquarium sponges, bio balls and even ceramic rings.

Its shocking how effective and cheap the pot scrubbers are as filtration media. They are popular in large tank builds and pond filtration systems.
Pot scrubbies do work very well for cheap filter media. You can get a bunch at the dollar store.

I use Original Magic Erasers(no additives) in my tank, and they work amazingly well. I’ve stopped using all scrapers at this point. Haven’t needed them at all since I switched.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishie_Mom said:
Pot scrubbies do work very well for cheap filter media. You can get a bunch at the dollar store.

I use Original Magic Erasers(no additives) in my tank, and they work amazingly well. I’ve stopped using all scrapers at this point. Haven’t needed them at all since I switched.
Yeah, i remember seeing a graph a few months ago comparing the bacterial colonization on each filter media. I was shocked to see that pot scrubbers actually scored think it was second on the list? Well higher than bio balls and ceramic rings. Just wish they was sold more over here because they aren't such good value when you got to pay £5 a pack off eBay lol.

I will have a look into these Magic Erasers, wonder if they are available in the UK.

What i really got to get is a scrubber sponge with long handle. Because my show tank is in the front room and in direct sunlight. So it gets covered in algae. But the piranhas hate when i reach down to the bottom of the tank. One of them attempted a suicide jump last time lol. So me thinks a long scrubbing sponge is needed.

Fishie_Mom

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ParrotCichlid said:
Yeah, i remember seeing a graph a few months ago comparing the bacterial colonization on each filter media. I was shocked to see that pot scrubbers actually scored think it was second on the list? Well higher than bio balls and ceramic rings. Just wish they was sold more over here because they aren't such good value when you got to pay £5 a pack off eBay lol.

I will have a look into these Magic Erasers, wonder if they are available in the UK.

What i really got to get is a scrubber sponge with long handle. Because my show tank is in the front room and in direct sunlight. So it gets covered in algae. But the piranhas hate when i reach down to the bottom of the tank. One of them attempted a suicide jump last time lol. So me thinks a long scrubbing sponge is needed.
You could use a Mag-float with a scraper. Not sure if it is available there or not. No need for your hand to be in the tank at all. Pretty handy actually.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishie_Mom said:
You could use a Mag-float with a scraper. Not sure if it is available there or not. No need for your hand to be in the tank at all. Pretty handy actually.
Gonna look for one of them now thank you

The £5 algae magnet scrapers you get from pet stores are awful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom