Sponge Filter And Tank Mates?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Christian Villanueva, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Christian VillanuevaValued MemberMember

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2.5 Gallon tank right now with a Betta inside and I was wondering if my current sponge filter that I'm using could be too strong for my little guy. The sponge filter is fairly small but I can't tell if my fish is being pushed around by the current or not.

I'm also planning on putting tank mates in his 2.5 gallon, I was thinking 2 ghost shrimp and maybe 1 snail. Would that be okay to put inside his tank? or would it be best to just leave him alone? I would basically be counting on the shrimp to eat the food that the betta might miss and the snail to hopefully keep the sides of the tank clean.

-off topic question-
    The Betta I was talking about seems smaller than my other Betta fish. Does this mean that he's not fully grown yet? And if he isn't, what can I do to further his growth?

Thank you guys!

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn't add anything else to the tank. A betta in a 2.5 gal tank is already pushing it. He could not be fully grown yet. The best thing to do is get a 5 gal tank and feed nutritious foods, and do a little bit more water changes. If you get a 5 gal tank, you could get some ghost shrimp and possibly even a snail (depends on what type)

3. arvind2205Valued MemberMember

In my experience with bettas, for a 2.5G betta is probably best left alone. If you really want a tankmate a nerite snail is a good option as long as he gets enough to eat, the algae alone probably wont be enough for him :) Good luck.

4. Christian VillanuevaValued MemberMember

Thank you guys for the reply! But what about the whole sponge filter situation. I feel like the sponge filter may be disrupting him. Is it possible that a sponge filter could be "too loud" for the fish?

Oh and another thing I forgot to ask, do Bettas like to wedge themselves between ornaments and basically sit there and just relax? and do they sometimes just sit on the substrate? Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  5. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

A small sponge filter hooked up to a slower rate air pump usually isn't enough to disrupt them. My daughter had hers hooked up to an air pump that got pretty good bubble action and hers was fine (she also had a 2.5 gal)... He also will sleep wedged in things or hide under things or sleep on the substrate. His new spot now is on top of the sponge filter that she has in her 10 gal tank.

6. endiglowgurlNew MemberMember

Yes, my betta wedges himself on top or between the thermometer in my tank. Always has. He loves to just relax there at the top of the tank. I bought him a leaf hammock, but he doesn't seem to be interested in it.. He loves the thermometer though! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice