Sponge Filter and substrates to use?

D_C_1

I'm considering buying a sponge filter for a spare tank I have.

The tank is hexagonal and I think is around 31-33 litres but i'm not sure, I'll have to check the dimensions. I bought it for £5. I want to know...
-If this sponge filter would work in this tank -
-What the best substrate to use with a sponge filter is (if any)
-If I would need to buy any extras such as air pumps or airline tubing?
-Any fish that do not cope well when a sponge filter is being used? (assuming no but just checking)
-Any other info on sponge filters would be helpful, e.g if you think they work ok in hexagonal tanks.

As a bonus question, can anyone recommend a heater or lighting for this sort of tank? Thanks

claudicles

That one should be fine. You either need an air pump and air line or a power head to run it. For that small a tank I would go the air pump and air line. The power hear would take up too much space in your tank. Substrate does not matter. I mostly use them in bare . bottom tanks (discus grow out and quarantine). It should work fine in a hex. Sponges don't generate a lot of current across the top of the water but do move the water OK from the bottom to the top so that would help well with the sort of water circulation problems you have in a hex (low surface area to relatively large volume and column of water depth).

D_C_1

Very helpful thank you +1
If I also bought
(airline tubing)
+ (air pump)
Is that the right equipment to make it work?

claudicles

Yes. That looks fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics