Sponge Filter Airline Goo?

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Okay, so this is my first sponge filter and I have had it in the tank with one fish for about 2 weeks and then in the tank fishless for about 4 days and then yesterday added 2 new fish (quarantine tank). Now the first thing this morning I see this white goo that looks like milk in the airline by where it meets the fliter and it is all the way up about 3" of the line. My question is "WHAT do I do? Is this natural? Will it hurt the fish?" My first thought is to tear the thing out of there but I have no other filter for the tank that is anywhere near cycled. This is enough to have me very nervous and you all know how I get about my babies and here I am with 2 new ones and this mess and not to know what to do about it is .... :'(

My water parameters were ph 7.2; nitrates 20; nitrites .25; ammonia 0 this morning. I hadn't had any nitrites until I added the little fish, I guess I wasn't as cycled as I thought. I will keep an eye on that, but I don't think this has anything to do with the GOO.

Any help will be appreciated!

Rose
    ???

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

It's bacteria, nothing to worry about.

Dino

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, Dino. I feel better already. I just don't have any experience with these sponge filters and this was a shock.

Rose
    :D

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Oooh--sweet--bacteria! Cool!
    Sorry :p
    Don't get me started about the algae growing under my lights... ;)