Sponge Filter + Air Pump For 20 Long

Ravynn
HI guys,

I'm picking up a 20 long in 2 weeks and i'd like to use a sponge filter. It'll house only kuhlI loaches and 2 nerite snails so I don't want high flow.

I'd like to over-filter the tank, so my question is what size sponge filter should I get? I have the option of getting the 75 or 40 Bacto-Surge sponge filters or a dual sponge filter rated for 60 gallons from Amazon.

I was also wondering about the air pump I'll need. I can't find anything online that tells me what size I need to power a sponge filter. I'm trying to keep filter costs low and a lot of the pumps are pretty expensive, plus I don't need tons of agitation.

The tank the fish are already in is cycled and I have 3 bags of biomax in it. How can I utilize this media to cycle the sponge filter?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! I've never used a sponge filter before.

r5n8xaw00
I know what you mean buy high flow, I worry about this for my betta.
Not sure if it will fit the bill for you, but you don't need big air pumps to drive sponge filters.
Here is what I am using right now in my 29 gallon, sponge filter....Link
Driving the sponge filter with this small air pump.....
It seems to be working just fine for me, in the picture you can see the air bubbles
29g.jpg it produces in my 29 gallon.

WTFish?
I have this in a small tank but they (also other brands) make bigger versions, I love it. Mine is on a Tetra whisper 10-30 pump, works great but won’t power a second one. If it were me with a 20 long I’d get two sponges and two pumps, 1 for each side. Sponge is under $10 and pump maybe $10-15....

mattgirl
is the one I have. It is fairly quiet and puts out all the air I need to run 2 sponge filters plus and extra air stone. It has been constantly running since Dec. 2015

r5n8xaw00
With using sponge filters, after use for awhile you will need to clean them. When you do a water change, gently squeeze them out in the old aquarium water inside the bucket.

is the one I have. It is fairly quiet and puts out all the air I need to run 2 sponge filters plus and extra air stone. It has been constantly running since Dec. 2015
On that one mattgirl is using, there is a knob where the air flow can be adjusted, that is cool. Great one to consider for adjusting flow.

mattgirl
On that one mattgirl is using, there is a knob where the air flow can be adjusted, that is cool. Great one to consider for adjusting flow.
I was a bit disappointed with the control knob. I really doesn't control as much as I expected it too. It isn't a problem for me and to tell the absolute truth I had forgotten all about it. I use those little plastic air controllers on each individual air line to control how much goes through each line so just leave the knob wide open.

Ravynn
I know what you mean buy high flow, I worry about this for my betta.
Not sure if it will fit the bill for you, but you don't need big air pumps to drive sponge filters.
Here is what I am using right now in my 29 gallon, sponge filter....Link
Driving the sponge filter with this small air pump.....

Those are 2 that I have access to. What size filter and pump are you using on your tank?

I have this in a small tank but they (also other brands) make bigger versions, I love it. Mine is on a Tetra whisper 10-30 pump, works great but won’t power a second one. If it were me with a 20 long I’d get two sponges and two pumps, 1 for each side. Sponge is under $10 and pump maybe $10-15....

I'm in a more rural spot in Canada, so everything is over-priced. I'm trying to get quality products but it's hard

r5n8xaw00
Yep the first time I made a mistake buy getting a really huge air pump to drive my sponge filter. When I turned it on it was rocking the whole house...j/k. Now it is sitting on a closet shelve waiting for the day I get my big dream aquarium.

I was a bit disappointed with the control knob. I really doesn't control as much as I expected it too. It isn't a problem for me and to tell the absolute truth I had forgotten all about it. I use those little plastic air controllers on each individual air line to control how much goes through each line so just leave the knob wide open.
Experience of others is the way to go, thanks mattgirl.

Those are 2 that I have access to. What size filter and pump are you using on your tank?

I'm in a more rural spot in Canada, so everything is over-priced. I'm trying to get quality products but it's hard
In Canada you can order form Amazon right, not sure about how that works there.
I have links as to what I am using, just click on the blue links.

mattgirl
HI guys,

I'm picking up a 20 long in 2 weeks and i'd like to use a sponge filter. It'll house only kuhlI loaches and 2 nerite snails so I don't want high flow.

I'd like to over-filter the tank, so my question is what size sponge filter should I get? I have the option of getting the 75 or 40 Bacto-Surge sponge filters or a dual sponge filter rated for 60 gallons from Amazon.

I was also wondering about the air pump I'll need. I can't find anything online that tells me what size I need to power a sponge filter. I'm trying to keep filter costs low and a lot of the pumps are pretty expensive, plus I don't need tons of agitation.

The tank the fish are already in is cycled and I have 3 bags of biomax in it. How can I utilize this media to cycle the sponge filter?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated! I've never used a sponge filter before.
Since you aren't getting the tank for a couple of weeks you may want to go ahead and get the sponge filters and run them in your cycled tank. That way they will already have some BB on them. It is possible that you can place a bag of the biomax under the sponge filter once you get your new tank set up. I say under because it should allow the sponge to pull the BB up and through the sponge to help seed it.

Ravynn
In Canada you can order form Amazon right, not sure about how that works there.
I have links as to what I am using, just click on the blue links.

Yes, I can order from Amazon. Is it the "up to 10 gallons" tetra pump that you are using?

Since you aren't getting the tank for a couple of weeks you may want to go ahead and get the sponge filters and run them in your cycled tank. That way they will already have some BB on them. It is possible that you can place a bag of the biomax under the sponge filter once you get your new tank set up. I say under because it will allow the sponge to pull the BB up and through the sponge to help seed it.

I have to put the 20 long on the same stand that my current tank is on, so it's going to be a process. I have an extra box filter and very small air pump I could use to put the 3 bags of media in but i'm not sure if that's a good idea. Ideally, I just want the sponge filter/s, so I don't want to mess any cycle up by taking the media bags back out of the new tank.

mattgirl
Yes, I can order from Amazon. Is it the "up to 10 gallons" tetra pump that you are using?

I have to put the 20 long on the same stand that my current tank is on, so it's going to be a process. I have an extra box filter and very small air pump I could use to put the 3 bags of media in but i'm not sure if that's a good idea. Ideally, I just want the sponge filter/s, so I don't want to mess any cycle up by taking the media bags back out of the new tank.
I think I understand now. I think you are upgrading instead of in addition too. In the end you plan on breaking down the original tank and replacing it with the 20 gallon. Is that right?

If that is the case you can basically have an instant cycle in the new tank. Just install the sponge filters and move the HOB with cycled media over to the new tank. Also move any decorations you plan on keeping over at the same time. After a short time (at least 2 weeks but preferably 4) you can remove the HOB because the sponges will have grown the BB you need.

If you aren't breaking down the cycled tank you can still cycle the new one the same way if you have an extra HOB to hold some of the biomax.

WTFish?

Oh I see

Ravynn
I think I understand now. I think you are upgrading instead of in addition too. In the end you plan on breaking down the original tank and replacing it with the 20 gallon. Is that right?

If that is the case you can basically have an instant cycle in the new tank. Just install the sponge filters and move the HOB with cycled media over to the new tank. Also move any decorations you plan on keeping over at the same time. After a short time (at least 2 weeks but preferably 4) you can remove the HOB because the sponges will have grown the BB you need.

If you aren't breaking down the cycled tank you can still cycle the new one the same way if you have an extra HOB to hold some of the biomax.

Yes, this is what I hope to accomplish. I have a sump-type filter though, so no HOB to use on the new tank. I definitely would've done that, though.

I guess I wouldn't be able to get an Aquaclear 20 or 30 and stuff it with all the media I have? Everywhere I read says it wouldn't be enough filtration but i'm not looking for high flow/turnover and I have quite a bit of media + whatever comes with the filter.

Right now, my pump does 132 gallons per hour and my loaches hate it so I have to use all kinds of sponges to slow it down.

mattgirl
Yes, this is what I hope to accomplish. I have a sump-type filter though, so no HOB to use on the new tank. I definitely would've done that, though.

I guess I wouldn't be able to get an Aquaclear 20 or 30 and stuff it with all the media I have? Everywhere I read says it wouldn't be enough filtration but i'm not looking for high flow/turnover and I have quite a bit of media + whatever comes with the filter.
I think I understand how you have your original tank set up now. You may find that just sponge filters may not keep your tank as clean as you might want it. Sponges do pull some of the poo and stuff out of the water but you may find that you need some kind of media with the water going through it to keep the water looking cleaner.

I started my 5.5 gallon with a seeded double sponge sponge filter and finally bought a different internal filter to help. The sponge alone just wasn't enough filtration. I hope it works out for you.

r5n8xaw00
On the 29 gallon in the picture I have a Fluval C4 HOB, just can't see it in the pic. I also have the sponge filter. The HOB is bigger then really needed for the 29 and does create a lot of flow. So to give my betta a break I unplug it for part of the day and leave the sponge running. That way I get the cleaning the 29 needs from the HOB. A good benefit about the sponge it helps to increase BB.

Ravynn
On the 29 gallon in the picture I have a Fluval C4 HOB, just can't see it in the pic. I also have the sponge filter. The HOB is bigger then really needed for the 29 and does create a lot of flow. So to give my betta a break I unplug it for part of the day and leave the sponge running. That way I get the cleaning the 29 needs from the HOB. A good benefit about the sponge it helps to increase BB.

I'm so conflicted over sponge filter or HOB now and the only reason is because I already have 3 bags of cycled ceramic rings. It would be easier to just plop them into a HOB.

I wonder if the Aquaclear 20 would be enough since it's 100 g/h and my loaches can't deal with 132 g/h. Aquaclear's are expensive here.

sloughdog
I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 gal long and on the other end a Quietflow 10. There are banded kuhlis in the tank and it doesn’t bother them at all. In fact they seem to like to play in the outflow of the Aquaclear. I do have a sponge over the intake and the outflow is adjustable. I think you would be fine with an Aquaclear 20 or 30.

Ravynn
I have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 gal long and on the other end a Quietflow 10. There are banded kuhlis in the tank and it doesn’t bother them at all. In fact they seem to like to play in the outflow of the Aquaclear. I do have a sponge over the intake and the outflow is adjustable. I think you would be fine with an Aquaclear 20 or 30.

Do you like the Quietflow? I was looking at that one as well since it starts itself back up after power goes out and I have a decent amount of power outages throughout the year.

I'm stuck between the Quietflow 30 (200G/H) or the Aquaclear 20/30.

bgclarke
I have a Quietflow 30 on my 20 high, very happy with it.
Good flow and doesn't bother my panda cories.

I have an AquaClear 20 on my 10 gallon pea puffer tank.
I wouldn't put it on my 20 unless I needed a real gentle flow.

sloughdog

image.jpg
image.jpg The Quietflow has performed great so far. The only thing I don’t like on it is there is a black box that houses the motor that sits inside the tank. Minor detail really:

Ravynn
I have a Quietflow 30 on my 20 high, very happy with it.
Good flow and doesn't bother my panda cories.

I have an AquaClear 20 on my 10 gallon pea puffer tank.
I wouldn't put it on my 20 unless I needed a real gentle flow.

Quietflow isn't adjustable, that kind of worries me. Maybe I should get an Aquaclear 30 and turn it down if I need to.

sloughdog
The Aquaclear is the best option in my opinion. You can add a sponge to the intake and also make an easy do it your self baffle for the outflow if needed.

devan221
I don't keep kuhlI loaches and I haven't read all the replies to your post, but I thought id let you know that I have a 20 long with 2 x 10 gallon HOB'S, a sponge filter and a power head. I keep bamboo shrimp, hence the power head, so I'm going for flow. But the other fish and shrimp in my tank HATED the sponge filter. They all hid like there was a 5 year old banging on the side of the tank! Finally dawned on me that it was the racket all the bubbles from the sponge filter were making. It's better now that I stuffed some poly fill inside the tube and down into the filter, but they still prefer life if I turn it off!

Kevin Dennis
Sponge filters are not very good at mechanical filtration. I would recommend a small HOB in addition to the sponge filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mr. Kgnao
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views