Spoiled Rotten Fish Funny 

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My goldfish is so spoiled that if a food is not big enough, he'll ignore it until I get something larger. He recently started ignoring his 3mm NLS pellets, so I switched to the Bug Bites pleco sticks. Now he's interested.:rolleyes: He's like this with brine shrimp too, so now he gets whole krill. Bloodworms? What are those, mouse droppings? Maybe I'll feed him whole rats someday!:D He's an 8 inch ryukin, btw.

Tell me about your spoiled fish! I love quirky fish!

TheeLadyG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ahh, great to hear about somebody spoiling their goldy. ;) My ladies aren't spoiled per se, but they do have some expectations and they have pretty posh digs. I handfeed with Repashy Super Gold, and they have learned a pattern: I handfeed the first few bites and then break it up and drop it on the bottom. So they run up, get a few bites, and venture down to the bottom to forage for the rest... even before I've started breaking up the piece! They learned the pattern SO fast... 3 days I'd say. I get one of them to chase my hand for food which is really fun... the other one can't see very so she doesn't 'get' it. ;)

I have 2 fancies in a 75 that I set up like a play environment for them... leaving spots for foraging, swimming through, digging, and bubbles. I also rearrange every time I clean so it's always interesting for them. It's super fun watching them explore a new environment with vim and vigor. I let algae grow in strategic areas for them to chomp on all day. They are right in our living room and very much like a part of our lives. I really do work to try and keep them entertained in ways that appeal to their natural behaviors. It's very rewarding, I have calm, interested fish that LOVE people and are curious about anybody new, and are absolutely fearless about hands or changes. I see so many bored fish just waiting around to be fed. :( There is so much more going on with goldfish!

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I grow up, I'm going to get a goldfish! But, I hear stories they're messy (I'm assuming that's a poopy thing?), and just one goldfish needs at least 40g. But, I also read how incredibly interactive they are. I'd like to put one in my bedroom, next to my bed, so I can read him a bedtime story!

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
juniperlea said:
When I grow up, I'm going to get a goldfish! But, I hear stories they're messy (I'm assuming that's a poopy thing?), and just one goldfish needs at least 40g. But, I also read how incredibly interactive they are. I'd like to put one in my bedroom, next to my bed, so I can read him a bedtime story!
YES THERE IS POOP.
I'd say a regular fancy needs at least a 20 gal, but ryukins and orandas need more than that. They get huge. Commons, comets, and shubunkins do best in ponds.
They are very personable and always happy to see you! My goldie is actually just a dog that swims a lot.

TheeLadyG said:
Ahh, great to hear about somebody spoiling their goldy. ;) My ladies aren't spoiled per se, but they do have some expectations and they have pretty posh digs. I handfeed with Repashy Super Gold, and they have learned a pattern: I handfeed the first few bites and then break it up and drop it on the bottom. So they run up, get a few bites, and venture down to the bottom to forage for the rest... even before I've started breaking up the piece! They learned the pattern SO fast... 3 days I'd say. I get one of them to chase my hand for food which is really fun... the other one can't see very so she doesn't 'get' it. ;)

I have 2 fancies in a 75 that I set up like a play environment for them... leaving spots for foraging, swimming through, digging, and bubbles. I also rearrange every time I clean so it's always interesting for them. It's super fun watching them explore a new environment with vim and vigor. I let algae grow in strategic areas for them to chomp on all day. They are right in our living room and very much like a part of our lives. I really do work to try and keep them entertained in ways that appeal to their natural behaviors. It's very rewarding, I have calm, interested fish that LOVE people and are curious about anybody new, and are absolutely fearless about hands or changes. I see so many bored fish just waiting around to be fed. :( There is so much more going on with goldfish!
My goldie's favorite food is Super Gold. He will ram the glass trying to get to it. I can't handfeed it to him or my finger will go down with it! He'll eat other things out of my hand, but he usually has really bad aim.

Despite his size, he's a big chicken. He's afraid of everyone but me, probably because no one else pays attention to him. :( He likes the cats though.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
WrenFeenix said:
YES THERE IS POOP.
I'd say a regular fancy needs at least a 20 gal, but ryukins and orandas need more than that. They get huge. Commons, comets, and shubunkins do best in ponds.
They are very personable and always happy to see you! My goldie is actually just a dog that swims a lot.
I have an empty 20g,..... pining for fish. I could buy a regular fancy (not sure what that is, but will find out) and keep him in that tank? Could I put any other fish in there with him? And, why do they poop so much?

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They poop because they are water cows. Lots of veggies are good for them, and too much protein can constipate them.
Generally goldfish should only be kept with other goldfish. It's not that goldfish are mean, it's just that they coexist best with other goldfish. Only one would fit in a 20 though. You might be able to get a snail, but the goldfish may eat it.
A regular fantail would do fine. However, a lot of places get fantails confused with ryukins. You could accidentally end up with an orange submarine.o_O

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
juniperlea said:
I have an empty 20g,..... pining for fish. I could buy a regular fancy (not sure what that is, but will find out) and keep him in that tank? Could I put any other fish in there with him? And, why do they poop so much?
I wouldnt do a fancy goldie in 20g, just too small, both common sizes don't have enough depth. at 12 inches there would be barely enough space for it to turn around as it grows big. 40g is the standard.

They poop so much because they are vegetarians, and their digestive system digests fast and thus creating tons of waste.

And to OP, a meaty diet is not very healthy for a ryukin.

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FinalFins said:
I wouldnt do a fancy goldie in 20g, just too small, both common sizes don't have enough depth. at 12 inches there would be barely enough space for it to turn around as it grows big. 40g is the standard.

They poop so much because they are vegetarians, and their digestive system digests fast and thus creating tons of waste.

Oh, his diet is not that meaty. He only gets 1 krill a week, the rest is pellets and veggies. I guess I forgot to mention his record is 6 peas in the hole at once.
I do agree that a 40 breeder is better than a 20 gallon. Bigger is always better, especially with goldfish.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:

Oh no. I was getting a bit excited about getting one. The 20g is 16 inches deep by 24 inches wide. I was on fishkeepingworld researching the Fancies and some of them only grow to between 4 and 6 inches. But still, the 16 x 24 would still be too small for one? Is the poopiness more of a factor to consider as far as water health goes?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Too small. Also no species of goldie will ever max out at 4-6. Most likely 8-9 in 40g maybe 10. But 12 inches is easily reachable in a large tank.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Too small. Also no species of goldie will ever max out at 4-6. Most likely 8-9 in 40g maybe 10. But 12 inches is easily reachable in a large tank.
I won't get one then. My 20g is just so lonely, sitting there, devoid of fish. Not for long though. I'll find something else!

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Speaking of poo, I have noticed that certain foods make goldfish go. A LOT.
These Bug Bites pleco sticks or a repashy-exclusive diet makes my goldfish poop like you wouldn’t believe. I found a turd nearly 3 inches long this morning! I keep a net handy in these situations.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been re-thinking the goldfish thing. I do have a hang-up about poop! I had two Sunburst platties. Sadly, I'm down to one because the 3 1/2 inch one got stuck in an ornament. I felt so bad. Anyway, one day, I watched as, one of them made a 180 and the end of what I'm certain was a four inch string found itself directly in front of the platy's mouth. Yes, he went for it while it was still attached. If only there was video of that millisecond!:D

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pfffff! Hahaha! Like a dog chasing it’s tail, I guess.:joyful:
My goldie’s dumps are more so shipping ropes than strings. Goldfish are known for eating anything, but my goldie does not like poop. He spits it right out. He has high standards for sure.:pompous:

Fishies99

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
My mom has a 50,000 pond in her yard with rescue goldfish, the oldest is about 8 and pushing 13 inches. Chubby little bugger too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom