spoiled 20 gallon beta!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Jakob V, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jakob VNew MemberMember

so i got a 20 gallon tank for christmas and i moved my beta i love like crazy from a 1.50 gallon tank into the 20 gallon because i read that 1.50 is way to small for anything to live confortabaly.he looked really small in the 20 gallon and lonely(dont worry i know he cant be with most fish) so i got some ghost shrimp for him. 5 exactly. now theirs only 3 btw. i think the tank would look very nice with 10 neon tetras. i dont want my beta to attack them so would this help put a divider in between them for about a week and then let them be together in harmony. if not should i move my beta (bart) back into the 1.50. i would feel so bad though because he just experiensed 20 gallons and in a blink of an eye its gone. what should i do?

2. riptide904Valued MemberMember

Some bettas will fight with any fish you add, and some do great with smaller fish that don't have flowing fins. Depends on the personality of your fish. The divider seems to be a good idea because then you can observe how he reacts to seeing other fish in his "territory". I've never personally dealt with the situation, other's probably have better advice.

3. Jakob VNew MemberMember

i watched bart kill one of the ghost shrimp and the other i think just died of natural causes. he must have got it out of his system though because he havent killed any other shrimp. is that a bad or horribal sign that he killed a ghost shrimp. also cant the neon tetras out swim him?

4. riptide904Valued MemberMember

He may be aggressive, from what he did to the shrimp, but just watch him with the other ones to see if he chases them or bites them as well. I've never kept neons, so I'm not sure about out swimming a betta, but I definitely would put lots of leafy plants and hiding spots so they could hide if needed. I had a betta who attacked nearly everything in his tank except one tiger barb, I could never figure out why. Like I said, it varies fish to fish, you might test it out with one or two neons behind a glass divider, and see how he reacts to their presence.

5. oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I have 2 10 gallon tanks with a betta in each. Simon shares his tank with a molly and a mystery snail. Louie shares his tank with a molly of his own. I had a mystery snail in there and he was horrible to it. Both bettas seem to get along well with their molly companions. Louie likes to chase his around once in a while but they are fine most of the time. It all depends on the fish. Try the divider and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. Jakob VNew MemberMember

thank you guys if u know any1 who know a bunch about tetras contact me on this thread i dont know how to check messages im a newb.

7. riptide904Valued MemberMember

You might want to look at the neon tetra forum, you could find someone there who has kept them for advice.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/neon-tetra/

oh, I just remembered to ask if you've cycled your tank. You might want to put your betta back in his old one or at least hold off on getting more fish until the tank has grown the bacteria needed to process various chemicals that are toxic to fish (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite). Here's an article on it that was helpful to me:
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Jakob VNew MemberMember

thx but still any1 good with this stuff just contact me

9. Jakob VNew MemberMember

beta friends!

i have a 20 gallon and i dont want it to look so empty. i have a beta and 3 ghost shrimp i dont want any coryies or dwarf frogs, and i have live plants so i dont want the fish to eat the plants.

10. Jakob VNew MemberMember

guppies and betas?!

any possible way a beta 10 neon tetras 3 ghost shrimp and 3 guppies 1 male 2 female.

11. peppergeneNew MemberMember

I wouldn't try it. the shrimp would probably be snacks for the betta. and the colorful fins on the guppies would most likely cause the betta to harass them. they're aggressive little fish.

12. Jakob VNew MemberMember

i know hes my little devil but he doesnt snack on the shrimp.

13. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

First... tank size?

14. Jakob VNew MemberMember

bettas!

do dividers stress betas out?

15. Jakob VNew MemberMember

the tank size is 20 gallons

16. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

I have four bettas divided in a 20 gallon long. Personally, I probably wouldn't try it again. The dividers are quite a hassle to put up, because one's made for 20 gallons don't fit, so I've had to get the next size up and cut parts off, which took awhile. It's also harder to clean.

I've also found that my bettas seem much happier in tanks by themselves. They're always flaring at each other (this can depend on personality though, I do have one that doesn't flare).

Many members have divided betta tanks, and you could probably pull it off, I just prefer individual tanks :)

17. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Okay right now your stock sounds good... I would keep an eye on the guppies though as some males tend to attack colorful fish... and guppies are breed to be pretty :)

I have never had an issue with my bettas and colorful fish but each betta is different :)

18. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

my bettas were getting to stressed out seeing each other. i made some plastic dividers out of folders that they cant see threw. ill try to make a video tonight and post it later...

i cut my own folders or mesh when i make mine and i cut them bigger then needed. then i use the plastic ends that you get when you buy lees dividers and they stay very well. lees dividers are kinda expensive for what it is but the end pieces are great and well worth it.

he is a old pic of the tank...

Attached Files:

19. Jakob VNew MemberMember

thx monkeypie

20. Jakob VNew MemberMember

thanks. but what if they werent with other betas like im thinkin neon tetras.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice