Splitting Stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sheehanje, Apr 24, 2017.

1. sheehanje

sheehanjeValued MemberMember

I current have 3 tanks set up:

6 Gallon Edge: 2 Dwarf Puffers
    10 Gallon: Tangerine Crayfish (was supposed to be a dwarf according to LFS - it isn't)
    75 Gallon: 3 Danios (was a group of 10), 7 Emerald Green Cory, 4 Oto's, 2 Angelfish (juvenile), 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Apistogramma Borelli, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 2 mystery snails, 1 apple snail, 1 dwarf Mexican crayfish

So - after seeing a what I thought was a crack in my 75 gallon (it's a scratch), I toyed with starting my 44 gallon back up. So I purchased everything I need for it but I'm stuck on how I want to split my stock.

I definitely want the Oto's and Angels in different tanks. As the angels grow, I fear the oto's will end up a snack.

I'm thinking thing:

2 Angels, Danios, Dwarf Goruami, Dwarf Mexican Crayfish in the 44.

Keep everyone else in the 75 and possibly purchase 3 - 4 more Borelli for the 75.

Any suggestions?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

You have some temperature incompatibilities

I would do this
    44 (Warmer tank)
    2 Angels
    1 Clown pleco
    dwarf Mexican crayfish

75 (cooler tank)
    6 Danios
    7 Cories
    6 otos
    2 Apisto Borelli
    1 DG

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Agree with BottomDweller's stock

4. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

I'm not doing any more danios or otoclinus. I haven't had good luck with either. I'm under the impression my LFS only breeds danios as feeder fish and the ones I have gotten never last long.

I know angels breed more prolific in warmer water but my tank is at 77F right now - they seem fine. Is clown pleco warmer temp fish? Will the dwarf crayfish pick on the pleco when it grows? Finally - dg is fine in the 75 right now but if I decide to spawn Borelli down the road it c will be an issue.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, clown plecos are warmer temps.
    DGs are fine at 75, imo.
    I would be more worried about the crayfish being eaten than the pleco getting picked on, personally.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Agreed with Anders

7. OP
    OP
    sheehanje

So everything arrived to get the 44 gallon going again - then I noticed a crack in the seam of the 44. Ugh. It's not repairable - easily anyway. So, to the curb it goes. I checked Petsmart and my local one had a great deal on a 36 gallon bowfront ensemble.

So that's what's getting set up. Seeing I had to fork over the money for that, the rest of this is on the cheap. Other than the substrate and aquaclear filter I had delivered today - everything else for this tank is stuff I had sitting around. Eheim Jager Heater, tetra airpump, fake plants, small stones., teracota planters, and one fake piece of driftwood. I will obviously need real driftwood if I plan on bringing the Clown Pleco over. For now - everything is setup and I'm taking some of the bio media from one of my canister filters and putting it in the Aquaclear. I threw in some freeze dried shrimp (the big ones) for an ammonia source - my preferred method seeing I can't find pure ammonia around here and flake food makes a mess. Hopefully I can move the angels and CPO over in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

20170426_213806.jpg