Split time or constant?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ap05, Aug 6, 2014.

1. A

Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. Quick question on lighting. What's the general consensus with timers? I have mine on from 6 am to 9 am, 5 PM to 10 PM daily.

I'm getting moderate growth. Is this method preferred or will changing to a straight 8 hours benefit me more? Thanks

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Imo one period of lighting of around 8 hours per day is best, have the lights on when you're in & want to see your fish.
    Unless you have live plants the lights are mostly for our benefit as the fish don't really need them.

3. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, a solid photoperiod is better then a split. But as mentioned in other threads that it depends on your schedule. More of a personnel preference. I do a 7 hour photoperiod; 12pm-7pm. But I just added a Finnex that will run from 3pm-8pm. Wanted more light. lol

4. OP
    OP
    A

Ap05 Well Known Member Member

I changed it from 12 to 10 PM. If I get an algae out break I'll cut it back some. Seems my wisteria has really taken off since I changed it.

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Excellent! I wouldn't do anymore then that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice