split tails

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My finacee and I are sort of sharing this account so any questions for her tank I will be posting. Anyway, I have an issue with my two male guppies, one of the guppies had a split tail right down the center and the other it was on the bottom of the tail. I'm really confused about this,it does not look like fin nipping. other than the two guppies there is 1 bamboo shrimp and 1 white cloud any ideas???

~Inari

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it's a fin rot. One of my guppy has the same problem.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
it is definately not fin rot i can personally tell u that it isn't that they have problems with each other much...its more like they cut them selves some how...

~inari

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any decor in the tank they could have caught their tails on? Guppys with flowey tails have some of the same problems Bettas do with tearing their tails.
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found out that my guppy got stuck between my power filter and the aquarium glass.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also there are different types of guppies.

Tom

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright well the only thing that i can think of that they could get their little tails would the ammonia alert by seachem tonight when we got home she noticed that one of them had another tear in its tail i'm stumped i removed the ammonia alert to see if that helps at all but i'm kind of sceptical any ideas?

~inari

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bet it's because of the filter or decoration. My guppies are always getting stuck the most unusual ways.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We have also noticed that yuri, the who seems to be more domant, is picking on snowflake, the one with the split tail in multiple places. Also is there anything that can be done about the split tails with a bamboo shrimp and white cload in the tank?? Thanx

~inari

rip_van_winkle

Valued Member
Reaction score
One thing that I used for my betta actually, when he came from the LFS his fins were a bit ragged. I put in Melafix for 7 days (according to the bottle) and now his fins are all healed. I would give it a try.
Hope this helps

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Melefix would not work in this tank due to the fact that there is an invert in it the melefix would actually kill the poor guy. One of the guppies actually died from something unrelated to the fins and the other one is fine!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom