Split Barbel on Cory

bcsay720

Hello!
One of my cories has a split barbel (looks like the split end on hair). The split is very small and doesn't go all the way up. Doesn't seem to be bothering the fish, so I don't want to do anything drastic. Do you think increasing water changes and increasing tannins will fix that right up? Thanks. Won't be trying to get a photo. I only have one cory who is not afraid of the camera, and it's not the one in question.

I know I should consider removing items that could tear barbels (I have some cholla and mostly large gravel - though I have a large sandpit that the cories usually snuffle in). I'm planning on moving within the next several months (if I can get a house in this market...), so I'll be doing some rescaping at that time.

Here's some other info if you're curious:

Tank Size: 29g, heavily planted with driftwood and alder cones, HOB and heater at 78 degrees F, running since March 2021 (cycled with medium from previous 10g tank)
Maintenance: 25-30% water change once a week, Prime, add in a few new alder cones once or twice a month
Stocking: 7 cories (2 babies on the way in the grow out tank), 7 glowlight tetras (not glofish), 1 nerite, 2 honey gouramis, 1 ghost shrimp, bladder snails
Food: Cories get 9 shrimp pellets a day. I drop them into the sand pit, but the tetras and honeys will often bump a few of them out
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0-5 ppm (it was 5, but I just put a pothos leaf in and boy did those nitrates disappear)
pH: 7.2

TheAnglerAquarist

Well, tannins and water changes never hurt!
And I would suggest getting sand! They would be a lot less likely to get hurt

Upvote 0

bcsay720

That will be the plan once I move. I've had them for nearly 6 months now, so I'm glad this is the first injury I've come across.

Upvote 0

TheAnglerAquarist

That will be the plan once I move. I've had them for nearly 6 months now, so I'm glad this is the first injury I've come across.
Yeah good water conditions and more leaves would help

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
  • Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies