Spixi Snails With A Mystery Snail?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have some hydra issues, I know spixi snails are great at takling hydra but I also know they have been known to eat small pest snails. Would a spixi pose any risk to my Mystery snail?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would imagine that adult snails would be safe, unless they can gang up to take down other snails?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two tanks (soon to be 3) so I can move the mystery snail while the spixi tackles the hydra. My mstery snail Blue is my favourite aquarium dweller, I couldn't forgive myself if he was harmed.

Albifrons

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feel like pest snails are considered the tiny ones that over populate quickly. I wouldn't think a mystery snail counts. They are also very large snails, but if you want to be extra safe then you could totally move him to another tank while the Spixi's do their thing.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're not considered pest snails, but their classification doesn't matter to snail eaters. Assassins will eat pest snails, but they can also gang up and kill nerites and mysteries.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
They're not considered pest snails, but their classification doesn't matter to snail eaters. Assassins will eat pest snails, but they can also gang up and kill nerites and mysteries.
Yeah that's my worry. I love snails, but I won't keep assassin snails because I would worry about the mystery snail. Luckily I like bladder snails, MTS and ramshorn so I don't need assassins.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are the specs of the tank? I just got rid of Hydra in mine by using panacur-c and moving out all my snails (all four lol). What kind of stocking do you have?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
What are the specs of the tank? I just got rid of Hydra in mine by using panacur-c and moving out all my snails (all four lol). What kind of stocking do you have?
I have a Fluval flex 57L (15g-US). It has 10 chili rasbora, 2 sparkling gourami, 1 mystery snail. There is usually some gourami fry in the tank (my sparklers spawn about every 2-3 weeks).

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, I'm not actually sure if fenbendazole is fish safe, but it is entirely shrimp safe, just not snail safe. If you could temporarily move your snail and add a teeny amount of fenbendazole (.01grams, I didn't have a scale I just got a tiny pinch, about 7 granules) and put that in the tank and my Hydra were all dead within 48 hours. Just tiny white specks. I don't know how long until the snail can be moved back, it's only been 4 days since I added my dose but you could test with some pest snails first.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of pest snails in there too, but I'm not too worried about them. I can always re-populate bladder, ramshorn and MTS from my other tank. I am a bit reluctant to use chemicals in the tank. I don't want to harm the fish.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's fair, and I don't actually know if it's fish safe, but my blue dreams were fine.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As I have a few tanks, I am going to try 2 spixis (they may take awhile to get through the hydra). I can move the mystery snail if they go for him. Given that they are smaller than mystery snails (and not pure carnivors like assassins) I suspect they won't bother him.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ms rose said:
i know im late here, but what in tarnation is a spixi snail????
Google is probably your best bet. It's appearance resembles a mystery snail and is the only snail proven to eat hydra

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a link. I've got some because I have some hydra in a tank. .

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im back from google, they are cool too. i have a snail tank, i currently have 10 plus 1 clutch of mystery snails, i also am waiting for the right time to get some rabbit snails, not very interested in nerites but these spixi snails are something i would be interested in getting, glad you found something to help with the hyra. best of luck in your journey. also thanx for the info on the spixis, much appricited

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought I would update this thread in case anyone has the same question in future. I've had the spixies for a few weeks now, and I can safely say they are not a threat to a mystery snail. I have not seen them eat any of the pest snails (although I do have a lot so I may not have noticed).

I would say they are opportunists, if they are hungry enough they will likely eat a pest snail, but it certainly isn't their main diet. They seem to like the same things the mystery snail does and frequently snack on snello and repashy, but will also eat algae. They do eat hydra, although for my tank I think it will take a while for the 2 of them to get through my infestation.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just watched a spixi suck a snail pest snail out of its shell:yuck:. I still do not think they will be any risk to a mystery snail. This was a very small pest snail, but I would say watch them with baby mystery snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom