Spike In Nitrite??

B3tta fishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hello. Today I picked up 4 (getting more soon) healthy Glowlight tetras from my lfs. I brought them home and put them in my 10 gal quarantine tank that has been running for months. I noticed one isn’t in the school. I quickly tested for nitrite (that’s all I have time for right now) and it was at .50 ppm????? I don’t know what to do anymore. Every tetra I get something has to happen to them. This same happens when I get new tetras (flame tetras, neons, etc) and I’ve lost them all to the same thing. They first start with one not hanging out in the school then it starts to hang at the surface and spin around then die .??? I should probably just stick to rainbowfish then I guess...I ’m probably annoying. I’m sorry. Thanks in advance!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry to hear about your tetra problems. I've had phenomally bad luck with neons, myself, and I've completely given up on them. First off, they come all the way from Thailand, and the survivors of the journey are exhausted and sickly. Plus, they use a *lot* of antibiotics in Thai fish farms, so they're already difficult to medicate. Then, I discovered that we the advice I got from the different LFS around here was all wrong--they're raised in soft, acidic water and do not adapt easily to our hard, alkaline water. Once I started cutting our water half and half with RO water, those that lived beyond a week made it.

Anyway, that brings me to my questions for you. Are these fish coming to you all the way from Thailand? Is your water soft and acidic? If not, and it's hard and alkaline, I'd recommend switching to livebearers to make your life easier.

Next question, can you get some Amquel Plus? I use it in desperate times (which happen way too often to fishkeepers). You can put some directly into the tank. Just underdose slightly. That will get everything more comfortable for your fish. Another thing that I do is throw in lots of hornwort, duckweed, and frogbit. They soak up ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Hope things get better soon!

B3tta fishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
endlercollector said:
So sorry to hear about your tetra problems. I've had phenomally bad luck with neons, myself, and I've completely given up on them. First off, they come all the way from Thailand, and the survivors of the journey are exhausted and sickly. Plus, they use a *lot* of antibiotics in Thai fish farms, so they're already difficult to medicate. Then, I discovered that we the advice I got from the different LFS around here was all wrong--they're raised in soft, acidic water and do not adapt easily to our hard, alkaline water. Once I started cutting our water half and half with RO water, those that lived beyond a week made it.

Anyway, that brings me to my questions for you. Are these fish coming to you all the way from Thailand? Is your water soft and acidic? If not, and it's hard and alkaline, I'd recommend switching to livebearers to make your life easier.

Next question, can you get some Amquel Plus? I use it in desperate times (which happen way too often to fishkeepers). You can put some directly into the tank. Just underdose slightly. That will get everything more comfortable for your fish. Another thing that I do is throw in lots of hornwort, duckweed, and frogbit. They soak up ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Hope things get better soon!
Thank you so much! My ph is alkaline at 8.2. I’ve tried Malaysian driftwood and grape wood but it’s still stays the same. I’ve had neons for like a year once in my 9 gal nano tank and they did good until I bought more which brought columnaris and killed all the neons even though I used medication. I’ll look for amquel plus next time I go to my lfs. Thank you!

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
B3tta fishy said:
Thank you so much! My ph is alkaline at 8.2. I’ve tried Malaysian driftwood and grape wood but it’s still stays the same. I’ve had neons for like a year once in my 9 gal nano tank and they did good until I bought more which brought columnaris and killed all the neons even though I used medication. I’ll look for amquel plus next time I go to my lfs. Thank you!
I do hope that helps you out. BTW, if you're looking for a blue and red fish that can handle hard, alkaline water, I highly recommend Blue Star Endlers. Most of the pics online show very blue fish with some red, but I've been getting some that are more about half and half and others that are almost all red. They're so much easier than tetras

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom