Spider wood

wtusa1783

Reaction score
I got spider wood and I don’t know how to prepare it before putting it in the tank. Any suggestions?

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How big is it? If it’s small enough to fit in a pan, you’ll probably want to boil it. If not, you’ll have to wash it by hand (without soap) and then do water changes as it releases tannins into the water, unless you want a lot of tannins.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
Corydork said:
How big is it? If it’s small enough to fit in a pan, you’ll probably want to boil it. If not, you’ll have to wash it by hand (without soap) and then do water changes as it releases tannins into the water, unless you want a lot of tannins.
How long should I boil it for?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clean five gallon bucket filled with used tank water. Dunk the Spiderwood in it a few times, making sure its dirt free, then put it in the tank. Probably will have to weigh it down until it becomes waterlogged.
Spiderwood is not a big tannin leacher. No need for weeks of soaking.
Boiling the spindly azalea root aka Spiderwood will likely weaken & damage the branching.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
A201 said:
Clean five gallon bucket filled with used tank water. Dunk the Spiderwood in it a few times, making sure its dirt free, then put it in the tank. Probably will have to weigh it down until it becomes waterlogged.
Boiling the spindly azalea root aka Spiderwood will likely weaken & damage the branching.
Ok so just make sure it is not dirty and it should be fine?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should be fine. That method is all I've ever used for cleaning rocks & driftwood. Never a problem.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A201 said:
I had spider wood in one of my 10 gallon tanks, (at least it was spider wood at petco) and it released tannins like CRAZY. I eventually had to take the yank down because there were so many tannins. I couldn’t even see my fish!

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
KingJamal2 said:
I had spider wood in one of my 10 gallon tanks, (at least it was spider wood at petco) and it released tannins like CRAZY. I eventually had to take the yank down because there were so many tannins. I couldn’t even see my fish!
I also got it from petco. How do you think I could prevent so many tannins

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wtusa1783 said:
Was it already submerged? If so, then just Soak it in a bucket for maybe a day, once added to the tank do a couple water changes at first, then just let it be unless it’s soaking way to many tannins.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Was it already submerged? If so, then just Soak it in a bucket for maybe a day, once added to the tank do a couple water changes at first, then just let it be unless it’s soaking way to many tannins.
No I just got it so I just want to know what to do at first

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wtusa1783 said:
Well, I boiled mine for about an hour, replacing the water when it became dark, but it still wouldn’t stop leeching, so I booed it again... it wouldn’t stop. :shifty: So I put it in a bucket with tank water and let it sit. Wouldn’t stop leeching.:banghead:

Finally, I gave up, burned the piece of wood in the backyard (LOL)and then took down the tank.:shifty:

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
KingJamal2 said:
Well, I boiled mine for about an hour, replacing the water when it became dark, but it still wouldn’t stop leeching, so I booed it again... it wouldn’t stop. :shifty: So I put it in a bucket with tank water and let it sit. Wouldn’t stop leeching.:banghead:

Finally, I gave up, burned the piece of wood in the backyard (LOL)and then took down the tank.:shifty:
That sucks

BlackOsprey

Well Known
Reaction score
Really the only way to get it to stop leeching is to just wait it out. Tannins themselves are totally harmless, and allegedly beneficial for fish at that.

Since we're on the topic of spiderwood, your wood will also get a coating of white fungus a few days after submersion no matter what you do. It's harmless, plecos and snails love to eat it, it will eventually go away on its own but until then it will keep coming back until the wood has been exhausted of the nutrients that have been feeding the growth.

OP
W

wtusa1783

Reaction score
BlackOsprey said:
Really the only way to get it to stop leeching is to just wait it out. Tannins themselves are totally harmless, and allegedly beneficial for fish at that.

Since we're on the topic of spiderwood, your wood will also get a coating of white fungus a few days after submersion no matter what you do. It's harmless, plecos and snails love to eat it, it will eventually go away on its own but until then it will keep coming back until the wood has been exhausted of the nutrients that have been feeding the growth.
How long do the tannins release in the water?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the variety of wood.
Malaysian & MopanI leach for years, while Manzanita barely stains the water at all.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
I have MopanI in one tank and I love it but it’s now a black water tank! I have soiderwood I haven’t placed yet bc I’m so paranoid about my other tanks acrylic staining

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Spiderwood with a thicker trunk can release some tannins (nowhere near the amount mopanI does, I have a piece that is two years in a tank that still leaches a little), thinner limbed branches are easier to avoid tannins and to get it to sink sooner.
Give it a good soak in hot water in a bucket and toss it in the tank, add some extra polyfill to the filter to help pull any small amount of tannins that are released or get some purigen.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rinse it off with some boiling hot water for a few minutes then put it in your tank till it sinks then configure it however you want it. I agree with DoubleDutch LTLT :)

New Threads