Spider Wood growing white fungus and algae

Jsoland

i am a week and 4 days into my fishless cycle of a 32 gallon Fluval Flex. Bought a beautiful piece of spider wood from my LFS and it is growing some funky white and brown stuff on it. The last few days my water has become cloudy as well. It was crystal clear before this growth appeared. What should I do?

Attachments

• C4D5176E-7E9F-4C0E-8AA0-ADFD2D5F30FD.jpeg
    C4D5176E-7E9F-4C0E-8AA0-ADFD2D5F30FD.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 18
  • FF0BAA88-EA97-4290-A250-CF906D5280E0.jpeg
    FF0BAA88-EA97-4290-A250-CF906D5280E0.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 18

Strider1520

It happens in a new tank. The white biofilm doesn't hurt anything and can be wiped off. I get it on new wood for awhile, wipe it off and it will eventually stop. Cloudiness with new tank is normal as well - it will eventually go away and can also be silicate from sand in water column - it will go away as well. The cloudiness will go away in a week or so usually. If it is silicate, it will go away in time and when you do water changes.

saqib

That's pretty much normal as mentioned by Strider. Just brush or siphon it out whenever you're doing your next water change. It might come back though, it just runs through an initial cycle.

Flyfisha

I would suggest you don’t wipe anything in a tank that you are building a cycle in . That includes wood. While it is a little unsightly perhaps, it will do no harm. It will stop growing eventually as the protein/ sap runs out. Wiping it will only let you think you should clean hard surfaces. Until the tank is cycled treat every surface as a home for bacteria.

If you must clean the wood by all means do so. Removing it with an old toothbrush outside the tank is one way . It will likely grow back?
Many species of fish eat it. For all we know bacteria may even eat a little of it?

Jsoland I realise watching your new clean tank turn into a brown swamp was not what you had in mind.
In a few weeks/ months time you will be able to clean one panel of glass any time you want. The next day you could clean more glass or some gravel. Until the bacteria numbers are large enough to be a full working nitrogen cycle DON’T clean anything.

Are you adding an ammonia source?

Jsoland

I would suggest you don’t wipe anything in a tank that you are building a cycle in . That includes wood. While it is a little unsightly perhaps, it will do no harm. It will stop growing eventually as the protein/ sap runs out. Wiping it will only let you think you should clean hard surfaces. Until the tank is cycled treat every surface as a home for bacteria.

If you must clean the wood by all means do so. Removing it with an old toothbrush outside the tank is one way . It will likely grow back?
Many species of fish eat it. For all we know bacteria may even eat a little of it?

Jsoland I realise watching your new clean tank turn into a brown swamp was not what you had in mind.
In a few weeks/ months time you will be able to clean one panel of glass any time you want. The next day you could clean more glass or some gravel. Until the bacteria numbers are large enough to be a full working nitrogen cycle DON’T clean anything.

Flyfisha Yes, I added Dr Tim’s to 4 ppm and dosed with Seachem Stability as well. No drop in ammonia and only very slight rise in nitrites to this point in the cycle.

Jsoland

Flyfisha Help!! My tank has become an absolute swamp. I left the spider wood alone and the water cleared up sparkling clean. Now 3 weeks into my fishless cycle my tank and sand are overrun with algae. It smells like a swamp. I am dosing ammonia daily, nitrites have spiked but have not started dropping yet. Nitrates are just barely detectable at this point. It’s a Fluval Flex 32 gallon freshwater tank. What can I do? I’m getting so discouraged! See attached pics. The wood has also gotten more disgusting. Should I keep the lights off?

Attachments

• 61364B83-B854-44FE-90AD-874986E19353.jpeg
    61364B83-B854-44FE-90AD-874986E19353.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 46927079-A272-42FD-A3E3-BB20F036E45E.jpeg
    46927079-A272-42FD-A3E3-BB20F036E45E.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 6
  • C35F5B6D-CD76-4D91-9403-02C5A26937A9.jpeg
    C35F5B6D-CD76-4D91-9403-02C5A26937A9.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A54E9635-25E2-410D-B4CE-5943BEFF69CA.jpeg
    A54E9635-25E2-410D-B4CE-5943BEFF69CA.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 5
  • E16F1562-4927-401D-AB8E-99FFF5427C44.jpeg
    E16F1562-4927-401D-AB8E-99FFF5427C44.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6

DrPleconstein

Hi there! So to clarify have you been dosing ammonia into the tank everyday for the last 3 weeks? Have you done any kind of water changes or anything? How long are you leaving your lights on? Is there live plants in the tank? if so how many?

PeterFishKeepin

i would say give it a good water changes, that is just normal green algae which is sign your tank is in the stages of cycling, perhaps give the glass a scrape or clean if it bothers you?

Flyfisha

You could do a small water change? Of say 25% but unless the ammonia has accidentally gotten very high or the nitrites are extreme I would not recommend changing any water.
You have nitrates which is a good sign. Changing water will not remove the bacteria that poops nitrates but it’s possible just the act of removing water will be enough to slow their growth because of a slight change in PH .
Definitely turn the lights down to just a couple of hours . The Java fern I see in the pictures can handle a little less light for a few weeks.

I know it’s hard but now is not the time to clean the glass. Don’t vacuum the gravel. Don’t wipe even the heater is a potential home for the bacteria. We may want it all to live in ( ON) the filter but it decides what it likes. At least for now let everything stay just as is apart from the lighting.

In a couple of weeks or less perhaps when the nitrates pooping bacteria are fully established you can start cleaning up a little at a time.

By all means clean the front panel of glass. Just be aware you are potentially wiping away bacteria. This may mean the cycle building/ colonies of bacteria building takes longer to establish?

I agree with most of the guy in this video says but don’t necessarily follow all of his fish keeping practices . I acknowledge his 300 plus tanks and years of experience. I simply put this video in because you say your tank is a swamp.

I have local club members who breed fish in tanks that look very similar.

Its not necessarily to have this look but you should not worry about your tank at the moment.

Jsoland

Flyfisha Help!! My tank has become an absolute swamp. I left the spider wood alone and the water cleared up sparkling clean. Now 3 weeks into my fishless cycle my tank and sand are overrun with algae. It smells like a swamp. I am dosing ammonia daily, nitrites have spiked but have not started dropping yet. Nitrates are just barely detectable at this point. It’s a Fluval Flex 32 gallon freshwater tank. What can I do? I’m getting so discouraged! See attached pics.
Hi there! So to clarify have you been dosing ammonia into the tank everyday for the last 3 weeks? Have you done any kind of water changes or anything? How long are you leaving your lights on? Is there live plants in the tank? if so how many?
I just started dosing daily when the nitrites spiked and depleted the ammonia. So I keep feeding the bacteria to keep the cycle going. Have not done any water changes as was advised not to when cycling. Only 1 live plant and the lights are on about 12 hours per day.
You could do a small water change? Of say 25% but unless the ammonia has accidentally gotten very high or the nitrites are extreme I would not recommend changing any water.
You have nitrates which is a good sign. Changing water will not remove the bacteria that poops nitrates but it’s possible just the act of removing water will be enough to slow their growth because of a slight change in PH .
Definitely turn the lights down to just a couple of hours . The Java fern I see in the pictures can handle a little less light for a few weeks.

I know it’s hard but now is not the time to clean the glass. Don’t vacuum the gravel. Don’t wipe even the heater is a potential home for the bacteria. We may want it all to live in ( ON) the filter but it decides what it likes. At least for now let everything stay just as is apart from the lighting.

In a couple of weeks or less perhaps when the nitrates pooping bacteria are fully established you can start cleaning up a little at a time.

By all means clean the front panel of glass. Just be aware you are potentially wiping away bacteria. This may mean the cycle building/ colonies of bacteria building takes longer to establish?

I agree with most of the guy in this video says but don’t necessarily follow all of his fish keeping practices . I acknowledge his 300 plus tanks and years of experience. I simply put this video in because you say your tank is a swamp.

Its not necessarily to have this look but you should not worry about your tank at the moment.
Thank you so much!!

JustAFishServant

It's called aufwuchs; a microorganism/algae mix - it's beneficial but can be unsightly. I leave it in a tank without issue. If you really want to get rid of it, add a few fry, snails or shrimp. They'll eat it up in no-time :)

Now, I just saw a new post from you for cycling - don't worry too much. Driftwood may or may not cause problems, especially in new setups or non waterlogged wood pieces. It may never go away and you'll have to start over, or you wait and see how it goes. It really depends on the wood, tank, cycling and many other factors. Algae can smell like tea or a swamp so that might be the issue. If that's true it's the best case scenario. Leave it as is. Live plants can help, certain fish species in an established tank or even cheap/free 'pest' snails can help out with the aufwuchs and stank algae. Honestly, though it can be concerning, it doesn't sound like an issue to me. If you need to, a bale of barley for ponds can work in a pinch. Not the potentially dangerous chemical "remedies".

Anyhow, hope this helps and that your tank lives past whatever issue it's having. Good luck ;)

Jsoland

It's called aufwuchs; a microorganism/algae mix - it's beneficial but can be unsightly. I leave it in a tank without issue. If you really want to get rid of it, add a few fry, snails or shrimp. They'll eat it up in no-time :)

Now, I just saw a new post from you for cycling - don't worry too much. Driftwood may or may not cause problems, especially in new setups or non waterlogged wood pieces. It may never go away and you'll have to start over, or you wait and see how it goes. It really depends on the wood, tank, cycling and many other factors. Algae can smell like tea or a swamp so that might be the issue. If that's true it's the best case scenario. Leave it as is. Live plants can help, certain fish species in an established tank or even cheap/free 'pest' snails can help out with the aufwuchs and stank algae. Honestly, though it can be concerning, it doesn't sound like an issue to me. If you need to, a bale of barley for ponds can work in a pinch. Not the potentially dangerous chemical "remedies".

Anyhow, hope this helps and that your tank lives past whatever issue it's having. Good luck ;)
Thank you!!

Jsoland

Flyfisha i turned the lights off for most of the day and my algae problem has improved. I had a nitrite spike and fed it ammonia when needed. It stayed high for weeks with no nitrates. I increased tank temp by 2 degrees to 80. Nitrates have spiked and nitrites are zero. Thought cycle was almost complete but now my ammonia is at 2ppm and has stayed there for days and hasn’t dropped. Did I interrupt the cycle somehow? My ammonia should be at zero given the progress of the cycle. Any ideas? Wood is still coated and disgusting btw. Could that be causing ammonia issues now?

Flyfisha

I don’t read of anything you have done that would have interrupted the building of the cycle.

Assuming you have not cleaned much ?
Assuming the water was conditioned ?

Staring on the 17 June means you are 5 weeks into the fishless cycle. Well done on being patient.
8 weeks is not uncommon.

It is my opinion now is not the time to remove wood or disturb anything.

Us humans do like to be doing something as we wait. I suggest you try and resist messing with things. The temptation is to do a small water change or pull the wood out. I suggest you wait more time before doing anything.

Jsoland

I don’t read of anything you have done that would have interrupted the building of the cycle.

Assuming you have not cleaned much ?
Assuming the water was conditioned ?

Staring on the 17 June means you are 5 weeks into the fishless cycle. Well done on being patient.
8 weeks is not uncommon.

It is my opinion now is not the time to remove wood or disturb anything.

Us humans do like to be doing something as we wait. I suggest you try and resist messing with things. The temptation is to do a small water change or pull the wood out. I suggest you wait more time before doing anything.
Flyfisha I have not cleaned a single thing and no water changes or top offs. Just checked my PH and it was low. Best way to bring it up?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
TwoHedWlf
Replies
Views
TySabol
Replies