Spider wood driftwood not sinking

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by kidster9700, Jul 24, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Okay, so this is like thin branches and stuff so I can't drill any holes. I don't want to tie a bunch of rocks because that looks tacky IMO. I'm just wondering, how long does it take for driftwood to get water logged? Are there any types of wood that never sink? Does anyone else have experience with "spider wood"?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Mopani wood sinks. But it takes a long time to get all of the tannins out. There are some other types that sink as well. It can take a while for driftwood to be water logged. I've seen people online say a couple of days and some say a couple of weeks.

3. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

I don't have spider wood but my 12 inch piece of wood took about two days to sink after I boiled it. It's a thin piece though.

4. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, I had it in sink water all day yesterday to rinse it off and now I'm letting it just float in my 10 while it cycles.

5. tyguy7760

Do you have a plastic bin or something you could weigh it down in? It might go a bit faster

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Maybe, I could probably find one. So just force it to be completely underwater for a week?

7. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

I soak mine in a bucket and weigh it down with a rock or two. Some pieces can take a week or so and softwood, I believe will never sink.

I also have some pieces in my tank that are small and I put a plant ring (that my plants came in) on one end to help keep them down. I cover the ring with gravel or a piece of a moss ball.

Edit: If any of the wood remains out of the water while soaking, it will not become completely waterlogged.

8. tyguy7760

Pretty much. Check the water each day to see if the water is dark. When it gets to the point that the water is clear after its been there a day. Then it will not leach as much. Boiling also works

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, I'll look more into this type of wood to see. If it is something that won't ever sink thankfully I will still have use for it. I didn't know it wouldn't Waterlog if t wasn't completely covered, I thought it would just eventually sink

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice