Spider room build!

betta06

I wanted to make this for me and others to learn about spiders! I am happy to share what I know (not a ton lol) and excited to see what I can learn!

so I am attempting to build a small spider room.... I will be making the shelves myself, and the room is outdoors but it stays pretty hot here in the summer so should be okay without heating for now. I will update on this build once I get started!

spiders I own right now.
a johnson jumping spider (Phidippus johnsoni) unsexed
what looks to be a 6-spotted orb weaver (araniella displicata) unsexed
a harvestman/daddy long legs (pholcus phalangioides) unsexed
a few crab spiders I have yet to ID

I will post a bit on how I care for then later with pictures of there enclosures.

also I know some of these spiders are not usually kept in captivity but as long as provided the right conditions and space they can still thrive!

ChrissFishes01

Following!

From afar. Through the computer screen.

And no closer.

Upvote 0

betta06

so far I have not started cutting or measuring the shelves but have the wood! also for people interested I will try to make daily spider care sheets with everything I know about them. I will start with a goldenrod crab spider.

goldenrod crab spider (misumena vatia)

diet. they eat a wide variety of insects including, flys, bees and other small insects. Also unlike most spiders they will eat small beatles

habitat. almost anywhere! but are most likely found on white or yellow flowers, especially lilacs, goldenrod, milkweed and white roses.

bite. it can paralyze pray much larger then them in seconds but for people the worst they can do is cause mild redness, rashes and burning but that is uncommon. but please do not handle them if you think you may be allergic as symptoms will be much worse.

ID. Pretty easy to ID as there are not really any similar species.

care in captivity. First it is important to take into consideration where they live in the wild, In this case it is on flowers so you have the choice of providing flower trimmings daily or live plants, you are also able to do fake (although I have not tried this myself) Next you will need a container I like to use a half gallon mason jar as they prefer to have tall space rather then something like a tub, next put in about 1 inch of soil (or more if you are doing live plants) then add your flower and whatever other decor you decide on. For the lid you can either use the Regular lid with ventilation holes drilled in or a paper towel attached with a elastic band.

how to sex. males will be smaller and dark brown with a white abdomen. They also have small balls on the end of there pedipalps, females are bigger and more colourful.

Breeding. The female will make her egg sac under a leaf and guard it until they hatch around 3 weeks later.

lifespan for females in the wild up to 2 but in captivity 3+ males in the wild usually get eaten while mating so usually only 1 but in captivity almost as much as the females

If you have something to add let me know and I will be happy to put it in! Obviously there are a LOT more interesting things about them but as I want to make this daily I don’t want it to be to long.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Cool! Pics desired.

Upvote 0

Fisch

All power to you :) Looks like my surrounding (basement, shed, nature etc) is the spider room and I decided to keep my place free of big spiders (small ones are okay, big girls get evicted).
Pictures!!!!

Upvote 0

Ouse

Following. I used to keep five arachnids at once: a Chilean rose, Brazilian black, Mexican orange beauty, Chaco gold knee and an emperor scorpion. This was long before I began keeping fish and TBF I do miss my arachnids. Arachnids are very cool. Fish are cool.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Omg, just found this thread! Following!

Upvote 0

Natalie666

AHHH YAY SPIDER PEOPLE!!!! I had a decent collection of one female wolf spider, one canopy jumper, a house spider, and my baby regal jumper that is the only one with me now and has gotten quite chunky. I wanna have ts…but my mom considers those to be too much like “pets”. Im watching this thread too!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have a few redback spiders just outside the back door if you would like some I can post them?
We have one species in southern Australia called the huntsman. A harmless creature that grows to around 3 inches. My best story is seeing one on the outside of the car walking across the windshield as the car was travelling at 100 kms.
But seriously good luck to you.

Upvote 0

betta06

AHHH YAY SPIDER PEOPLE!!!! I had a decent collection of one female wolf spider, one canopy jumper, a house spider, and my baby regal jumper that is the only one with me now and has gotten quite chunky. I wanna have ts…but my mom considers those to be too much like “pets”. Im watching this thread too!
me to! my mom let me have a snake though so I am happy with that! I also have a female wolf spider and she has a nice egg sack so I am super excited for the babies!
I have a few redback spiders just outside the back door if you would like some I can post them?
We have one species in southern Australia called the huntsman. A harmless creature that grows to around 3 inches. My best story is seeing one on the outside of the car walking across the windshield as the car was travelling at 100 kms.
I would love to see some pictures of them! Australia has so many cool species I really want to take a trip there once I can.

also I will get some pictures asap

Upvote 0

betta06

does anyone know if a jumping spider can breed with only one pedipalp? it is the male so I am worried it might not work.....

also any idea what to feed baby orb weavers? they are still to tiny for fruit flys.

so the first is of a female tan jumper eating a moth (you can see in this photo what I mean by the blurriness)
the second and third are of the room! the floor needs to be levelled and the windows need some type of glass but otherwise I will make the shelves into the wall. (I know it needs a LOT of work done but I think it will look better when it is done)

Attachments

• D1538D7D-E814-4212-8AE8-F4EAF22BD042.jpeg
    D1538D7D-E814-4212-8AE8-F4EAF22BD042.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 404B22D2-54B1-4787-9B6E-B6AD12BA3F04.jpeg
    404B22D2-54B1-4787-9B6E-B6AD12BA3F04.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 94EF6B0E-63C9-43E0-82BB-9DB54510E5CE.jpeg
    94EF6B0E-63C9-43E0-82BB-9DB54510E5CE.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

peachsonas

Definitely following this thread! Spiders are fascinating.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

me to! my mom let me have a snake though so I am happy with that! I also have a female wolf spider and she has a nice egg sack so I am super excited for the babies!

I would love to see some pictures of them! Australia has so many cool species I really want to take a trip there once I can.

also I will get some pictures asap
Haha yes I am a snake person more than anything else-favorite animal and what I wanna study when I become an adult. My parents gave in and let me get a male lucy/ivory bp in 2018, he is just so goofy and I love him to bits.

Upvote 0

betta06

Haha yes I am a snake person more than anything else-favorite animal and what I wanna study when I become an adult. My parents gave in and let me get a male lucy/ivory bp in 2018, he is just so goofy and I love him to bits.
aww cute! mine is a almost 2 year old female phantom ball python.

Upvote 0

betta06

will get some better pictures today! here is todays care sheet.

Wolf spider (lycosidae)

diet. they will eat practically any insect and even small amphibians and reptiles! In captivity they also enjoy crickets and mealworms.

habitat. they seem to be found most in Gardens and forests (anywhere with places to hide) And are most active at dawn and dusk.

bite. Usually only causes mild redness and swelling (unless you are allergic) and they will not bite unless threatened. (they are super fast though so I don’t recommend holding them)

Look alikes. There main look alikes are the grass spider, fishing spider and hobo spider.

care in captivity. They are a pretty active spider so make sure to provide lots of floor space (I am currently using a 4 gallon tub for mine) they also like dried leaves, branches and bark.

how to sex. Males will have little balls at the end of there pedipalps.

Breeding. mateing season starts in the fall and the males die soon afterward. the female then makes a egg sack and attaches it to her abdomen ,The eggs will usually hatch mid summer and the female will then carry the babies they are 6-8 weeks old.

lifespan. Females live 4+ years in captivity and males around 2.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Don't forget the fire!

Spiders give me the heebie jeebies but must admit I am fascinated with them via internet pictures. Will be following, very cool. I personally raise scorpions... which also freak me out...

Upvote 0

Natalie666

Don't forget the fire!

Spiders give me the heebie jeebies but must admit I am fascinated with them via internet pictures. Will be following, very cool. I personally raise scorpions... which also freak me out...
What species? my moms from peru so her perception of scorpions is largely due to the reputation of the native species there giving painful stings. No scorpions in her house-although over time she has admitted asian forest scorpions are a little cute.

Upvote 0

betta06

good news!
I bred my tan jumping spiders last week and vanilla (the female) laid her eggs! I also tried to breed my Johnson jumpers Aragog and Shelob but Aragog had only one pedipalp so not sure if it worked....

bad news.
the temp has been in the mid 30s and soon to be 45 and my fishing and wolf spider (and her babies) have all died.... i don't know how to cool them down they have water dishes or get spritzed daily (lately been twice) so i don't think dehydration is a issue.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Ah yes, spider hydration... the only time I'd see any of mine outside their caves was when they drank from their ceramic bowls. :)

I've heard accounts of people taking spiders they find around their house and keeping them as pets, for example, keeping jumping spiders. Although not a true spider, have you heard of the harvestmen/daddy long legs?

Upvote 0

betta06

Ah yes, spider hydration... the only time I'd see any of mine outside their caves was when they drank from their ceramic bowls. :)

I've heard accounts of people taking spiders they find around their house and keeping them as pets, for example, keeping jumping spiders. Although not a true spider, have you heard of the harvestmen/daddy long legs?
yes! I had one for a while.

Upvote 0

Ouse

yes! I had one for a while.
I sometimes spot one in a corner of my bedroom and at school. I’m yet to see them bundle into a ball for defence as they do, but if I do spot that hopefully I don’t spot it in my house!

They’re quite fun. Neat little critters.

Upvote 0

betta06

great news! I will be using our spare house! it is really nice and there is tons of room and shelves. also stayes a few degrees cooler then the other one.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

omg! I’m so glad I found this! I’m looking to breed jumping spiders so if anyone here has some I would love to purchase them!
Yes please, I would LOVE a few!

Upvote 0

betta06

omg! I’m so glad I found this! I’m looking to breed jumping spiders so if anyone here has some I would love to purchase them!

Yes please, I would LOVE a few!
what kind of jumper are you looking for?

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

what kind of jumper are you looking for?
basicly any breed as long as there is a male and female. Bold jumping spiders are my favorite!

Upvote 0

betta06

basicly any breed as long as there is a male and female. Bold jumping spiders are my favorite!
I am planning on breeding Johnson jumping spiders. if it works i can try and send you a pair. I also have some tan jumper eggs although they are not as colouful and smaller

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

I would LOVE some!

Upvote 0

NearMeBettas

oh my goodness I love your spiders!

Upvote 0

betta06

oh my goodness I love your spiders!
thanks! i plan to post some better pictures of them tomorrow!

Upvote 0

betta06

I had a ton of egg sacs hatch these last few days! some baby goldenrod crab spiders, 6 spotted orb weavers, and a fishing spider egg sac!

the babies are SO cute and tiny!

Upvote 0

betta06

anyone know where to get crown spiders in Canada? I might be able to catch one myself but i dont really see them much here.

Upvote 0

betta06

I am making a video with all my spiders in it! i will post it on here once i have finished editing it.

also today i got a new male cross orb weaver (Araneus diadematus) they are quite a cool species and the males especially have amazing colours!

also all the baby spiders are doing great! the crab spiders had their first molt so i am going to give them their first flower and meal tomorrow!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Natalie666
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Room temp stocking ideas
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies