Spider In My Fishtank Help 

Kels127

Reaction score
Hi i had set up my tropical tank about 5 days ago and its heated to 25c we added some baby guppies yesturday and a plant from pets at home, the water ph etc was checked before the fish went in and all was perfect.
I have noticed a small spider on the live plant we bought at pets at home. Does anyone know what it is, there are also what looks like spider webs on the plant.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not seeing the spider your referring to? Who told you the water was perfect after being set up for 5 days? The nitrogen cycle usually take 4-8 weeks aside from using established media.

aoiumi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
Not seeing the spider your referring to? Who told you the water was perfect after being set up for 5 days? The nitrogen cycle usually take 4-8 weeks aside from using established media.
I see the spider. It's on the top of te uppermost "purple-ish" leaf and the next up green one. It's pretty small. Also that's a little crazy I've never seen this before.
OP are you sure it's still alive? Lots of live plants are grown emersed (out of the water). At worst you could just pick off the leaves with the spiderweb and throw them away.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Magicpenny75 said:
I see the spider. It's on the top of te uppermost "purple-ish" leaf and the next up green one. It's pretty small. Also that's a little crazy I've never seen this before.
OP are you sure it's still alive? Lots of live plants are grown emersed (out of the water). At worst you could just pick off the leaves with the spiderweb and throw them away.
Good eye! now i see it. I'de just take tweezers and pull it out and throw it outside.

Kels127

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
I took a sample to pets at home and they said the water was fine, the spider is on the top of a leaf, can you not see it?

Magicpenny75 said:
It moves around the plant, deffinatley alive it looks like its got something in its web around the side of the plant, there was another spider on it my husband said he'd picked it off last night, he just told me

Axemaniac88

Reaction score
Hi, I can see the spider but would just take it out of the tank. My bigger concern would be the wellbeing of your guppies - if this tank is new and you have added them 5 days after setting up, the water conditions are far from ideal and will likely be dangerous for them to live in. A successful nitrogen cycle to properly have a tank set up can take between 4-6 weeks at least. If you know anyone with an established tank, you could ask them for some of their filter media to put in your tank and seed it, or even ask another fish store if they have any.

I wouldn't really trust Pets at Home re the water testing as it won't be cycled after 5 days.

Kels127

Reaction score
Axemaniac88 said:
Hi, I can see the spider but would just take it out of the tank. My bigger concern would be the wellbeing of your guppies - if this tank is new and you have added them 5 days after setting up, the water conditions are far from ideal and will likely be dangerous for them to live in. A successful nitrogen cycle to properly have a tank set up can take between 4-6 weeks at least. If you know anyone with an established tank, you could ask them for some of their filter media to put in your tank and seed it, or even ask another fish store if they have any.

I wouldn't really trust Pets at Home re the water testing as it won't be cycled after 5 days.
Thanks i shall do that. Guppies seem fine at the moment

Benfreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have had really bad experience with pets at home on numerous occasions I would go to another more dedicated aquarium shop if there is one locally to you... A lot of garden centres have them and there a lot more trust worthy than pets at home... (in my opinion)

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kels127 said:
It moves around the plant, deffinatley alive it looks like its got something in its web around the side of the plant, there was another spider on it my husband said he'd picked it off last night, he just told me
Yuck! Well this is a new one for me lol. I have no idea what to tell you except to wish you luck with the fish-in cycle. It *can* be done, with diligence and care, so don't panic on that end. Established media will help, and even the live plants will help a lot.

Axemaniac88

Reaction score
Benfreshwater said:
I have had really bad experience with pets at home on numerous occasions I would go to another more dedicated aquarium shop if there is one locally to you... A lot of garden centres have them and there a lot more trust worthy than pets at home... (in my opinion)
Same here, too many in fact!

OP if there is a Maidenhead Aquatics near where you live, try there - they will be able to advise you and probably will be able to give you some filter media. They usually are based in garden centres.

For now, keep doing regular water changes and if you can, invest in an API water test kit - Link - it costs a bit more up front but will save you money constantly buying test strips, and is much more accurate than the strips. It also tests for ammonia, which will be poisonous to your fish if too high.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is definitely a new one for me. I know spiders are everywhere but I had no idea there were some that could live underwater.

I would remove the plant and clean it off well. Make sure you get all webs and potential eggs off of it. Your guppies may eat them and then again they may not, so best to remove them if possible.

Your biggest concern has already been mentioned. sadly you were given bad advice. Your tank is far from cycled after just 5 days unless you started it by adding seeded media from a cycled tank.

With fish in an uncycled tank ammonia will start building up and will soon be at levels that will potentially start killing your fish. You can just guess at how high it is and can do 50% water changes every 3rd day or you can get an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and know exactly what the levels are and can act accordingly.

Spend some time reading up on the nitrogen cycle and if you come across something you don't understand just ask. I feel sure we can answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Kels127

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
This is definitely a new one for me. I know spiders are everywhere but I had no idea there were some that could live underwater.

I would remove the plant and clean it off well. Make sure you get all webs and potential eggs off of it. Your guppies may eat them and then again they may not, so best to remove them if possible.

Your biggest concern has already been mentioned. sadly you were given bad advice. Your tank is far from cycled after just 5 days unless you started it by adding seeded media from a cycled tank.

With fish in an uncycled tank ammonia will start building up and will soon be at levels that will potentially start killing your fish. You can just guess at how high it is and can do 50% water changes every 3rd day or you can get an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and know exactly what the levels are and can act accordingly.

Spend some time reading up on the nitrogen cycle and if you come across something you don't understand just ask. I feel sure we can answer any questions or concerns you might have.
We added ornaments and plastic plants that were from our previous cycled tank we just took all the water out and replaced and added tapsafe and let the temp reach 25c. Thanks for your reply

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kels127 said:
We added ornaments and plastic plants that were from our previous cycled tank we just took all the water out and replaced and added tapsafe and let the temp reach 25c. Thanks for your reply
Did you also add the filter and filter media from the cycled tank? The ornaments will help but the filter media is even better.

When we see fish being added after just 5 days it sends up a red flag thus our responses. If you already had a cycled tank and just upgraded to this one then that is a different story.

Well shoot, Where are my manners.....

Welcome to Fishlore.

treadingwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can I just add about the spider? I did a quick Google and the only known spiders that live under water have to have a "diving bell" attached. If I were you I would take a video of this guy moving around without one and ask a professional. Maybe you found a new type of evil and the world must be shown. They might even name it after you.

Kels127

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Did you also add the filter and filter media from the cycled tank? The ornaments will help but the filter media is even better.
We kept the same filter but we put new cartridges in. I can't believe pets at home told me that everything was fine, she said wow after 5 days and the ph is spot on too! I am pretty new to tropical fishtanks but i thought would be given good advice from pets at home.
The guppies have been in since about 8pm last night and they seem fine.
Can i ask what you mean by filter media? Our filter has cartridges that you are supposed to change every month

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kels127 said:
We kept the same filter but we put new cartridges in. I can't believe pets at home told me that everything was fine, she said wow after 5 days and the ph is spot on too! I am pretty new to tropical fishtanks but i thought would be given good advice from pets at home.
The guppies have been in since about 8pm last night and they seem fine.
Can i ask what you mean by filter media? Our filter has cartridges that you are supposed to change every month
That cartridge is considered filter media. Filter media is any of the many things designed to grow and hold bacteria in your filter.

I know the manufacturer of the filter cartridges recommend changing them every month. The thing is when you do that you are just putting more money in their pocket and are throwing away some of the bacteria that is keeping your fish safe. You may want to check out all the different ways to add more efficient media and ditch the cartridges. I used them for years but only because I didn't know any better.

If you continue using the cartridges and changing them out each month you can transfer the bacteria on the used cartridge to the new one by cutting the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the plastic and the enclosed carbon. Put that piece of fiber in with the new cartridge and leave it in there until you are ready to change it again.

Kels127

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
That cartridge is considered filter media. Filter media is any of the many things designed to grow and hold bacteria in your filter.

I know the manufacturer of the filter cartridges recommend changing them every month. The thing is when you do that you are just putting more money in their pocket and are throwing away some of the bacteria that is keeping your fish safe. You may want to check out all the different ways to add more efficient media and ditch the cartridges. I used them for years but only because I didn't know any better.

If you continue using the cartridges and changing them out each month you can transfer the bacteria on the used cartridge to the new one by cutting the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the plastic and the enclosed carbon. Put that piece of fiber in with the new cartridge and leave it in there until you are ready to change it again.
It comes with a carbon filter and a green sponge, its the love fish c2 cartridges. We have always chucked both and replaced with new. My filter does have 4 different slots but we only use 2 of them.
What would you recommend using instead of the filters?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kels127 said:
It comes with a carbon filter and a green sponge, its the love fish c2 cartridges. We have always chucked both and replaced with new. My filter does have 4 different slots but we only use 2 of them.
What would you recommend using instead of the filters?
I wouldn't replace the green sponge until it was literally falling apart. You should be able to just clean it in some of the water you have removed during a water change. Just squeeze it under water until not much of the black is coming out of it. You could buy a sheet of sponge material and cut it to fit in your filter to replace the cartridges. All you have to do is just rinse it and it will last for a very long time, meaning years.

I will tell you what I have in my filters. I have 2 HOB (hang on back) filters on my 55 gallon tank. In each of them I have one media bag with ceramic media in it. There is also another media bag with a mixture of crushed coral, lava rock and matrix in it. This is my bio-media meaning this is where most of the bacteria lives.

I top those media bags with poly-fill (the same material used for stuffing pillows or soft toys). This material is my mechanical filtration. Since I don't depend on it for holding bacteria I usually replace it a couple of times a week. It can be rinsed and reused but it is so cheap I just prefer to replace it.

I also have a bag of nitra-zorb in one of the filters to help keep the nitrates down and a piece of sponge in the side of the filter where the impeller is.

Kels127

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I wouldn't replace the green sponge until it was literally falling apart. You should be able to just clean it in some of the water you have removed during a water change. Just squeeze it under water until not much of the black is coming out of it. You could buy a sheet of sponge material and cut it to fit in your filter to replace the cartridges. All you have to do is just rinse it and it will last for a very long time, meaning years.

I will tell you what I have in my filters. I have 2 HOB (hang on back) filters on my 55 gallon tank. In each of them I have one media bag with ceramic media in it. There is also another media bag with a mixture of crushed coral, lava rock and matrix in it. This is my bio-media meaning this is where most of the bacteria lives.

I top those media bags with poly-fill (the same material used for stuffing pillows or soft toys). This material is my mechanical filtration. Since I don't depend on it for holding bacteria I usually replace it a couple of times a week. It can be rinsed and reused but it is so cheap I just prefer to replace it.

I also have a bag of nitra-zorb in one of the filters to help keep the nitrates down and a piece of sponge in the side of the filter where the impeller is.
Wow, sounds very confusing for me, my tank is only 10 gallon (40 litres).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom