Spicing up Goldfish diet

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by VickyB, Jul 3, 2016.

1. VickyBNew MemberMember

Hi All,

Right now I have 6 goldfish that are being fed a homemade diet. Due to some time restrictions I currently feed them a small cube of food every 3 days - their weight and health all seem good and the tanks stay fairly clean, not a lot left that I can see when I clean the tanks. 5 of the goldfish have only had homemade food, and the 6th has been on the diet for 4 years.

My current base ingredients are:
    boiled peas
    A small pinch of tetra fin goldfish flakes
    A small amount of goldfish pellets (sinking)
    Some larger pellets for feeding koi and goldfish in ponds
    freeze dried tubifex worms

Ingredients mixed, blended and frozen in individual cubes

Previous goldfish experience left me a disciple of feeding peas as a staple in these guys' diets, since I would often have problems in previous tanks even feeding a mix of flakes and pellets. Like I said my fish seem happy and healthy, and I will add some variety every once in a while in the form of lettuce, carrots, or brine shrimp which is also popular with them. I wonder if there is advice for other ingredients I should include on a regular basis or if this mix should be providing all of their needed vitamins.

Thanks!

2. Beeker

BeekerWell Known MemberMember

Hi VickyB and welcome to Fishlore!
    I'm so happy to see that you want to give your babies a healthy diet! I moved away from flakes and pellets due to losing a couple of fish to blockages caused by the companies changing their food to "promote clear water" years ago.
    There are a lot of recipes out there for homemade food, but most of them are quite time consuming and at a level of expertise that I haven't reached yet.
    I found this easy recipe years ago and love it. I've used it ever since and my fish are so happy and healthy.

3. OP
    OP
    V

VickyBNew MemberMember

Beeker thanks for the reply! I never really thought of using baby foods, that is a great idea. I'm glad to have some guidelines on what type of vitamins to incorporate - at some point I would love to eliminate most if not all of the commercial pellets and flakes from their diet once I can be sure they are still getting the right supplements.

4. Beeker

I'm glad to help!
    I only feed this food and sometimes some fresh veggies.
    I have a garden outside and started throwing some torn bits of dandelion leaves in their tank on occasion too. They prefer my prepared food, though. Little piggies!

5. octavio

octavioValued MemberMember

I keep my goldfish in large outdoor cement ponds that have constant natural filtration. They get a regular diet of Koi chow and shrimp pellets. But one thing I always keep in the ponds is Anacharis. They constantly nibble on it. They nibble on it so much so that I never worry about them getting enough fiber and vegetables in their diet because I have to throw in ten or twelve strands of Anacharis every week. This may not be practical for most people, but I have several large indoor tanks (60 gallons each) in which I raise the plants so I always have a good healthy crop for decorating my planted tanks. It's very much like mowing the lawn every week, because Anacharis grows that fast. The large tanks also are homes for all of the guppies that keep showing up when I'm not looking.

Anyway, the goldfish love the stuff. They chew on it. Sleep under it. Play in it and eat it. Good addition to any goldfish diet. Good luck.

6. Beeker

They do love anacharis, but I can't find any for sale around here. A lot of states banned it because it is such an invasive plant.
    That reminds me of another tip about goldfish; it will be very difficult to keep live plants with goldfish. As you can tell from my signature, goldies will destroy plants by nibbling, pecking and undermining.

7. OP
    OP
    V

VickyBNew MemberMember

Yes, I suppose I could have added the live plants I try to keep in the tank as part of their diet - fresh plants rarely seem to last for more than a few weeks! I am in the middle of a move with these tanks, but I am hoping once the relocation is complete I have a chance to do more with their diet.

In fact...Octavio your comment about Anacharis is interesting. Part of my menagerie that is being relocated is a small backyard flock of ducks - I am currently researching some edible plants to put in their new ponds, and Anacharis keeps coming up because of how hardy it is. I wonder if it would be possible to plant them in the duck ponds and have a supply to treat my goldfish with every once in a while? It sounds like your plants go from indoors to outdoors, I wonder if the opposite would be okay if the growing included being around/nibbled on by ducks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice