Spent Two Hours Servicing My Aquarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terabyte

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yikes I haven't yet cleaned out my 65's two canisters now i'm scared too. Prolly gonna do that tonight if I don't get too much homework

ams083

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do my 240L and 340L one after the other weekly in about 1 hour - gravel vac, inside & outside glass, fittings. Usually start with the 340L, then as that's done and filling back up, do my 240L. By the time the 340 is filled, I'm ready to fill the 240 back up.

If I do my filters (monthly), it's about an extra half hour.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks very good. I feel your pain. You do not want to know how much of my Sunday was consumed servicing just the planted 150. It is a 150 tall so pruning plants is an interesting chalange.

popsikle

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks good!

As someone who has MTS its all about routine, and understanding the needs of each tank. You get better at it with a routine and you end up getting more equipment (I can drain all the tanks at the same time now as I have collected equipment over the years, for example. I keep my tanks stocked enough to where I can do bi-weekly 35%-50% water changes and 6 week filter changes and never get above 5-8 nitrates (even less on the planted tanks). I run two filters on each tank, so I am doing a filter on each tank once every 3 weeks (I am trying to push this out to 8 week cycles using prefilters). So every weekend I am doing 5 water changes and no more than 3 filter cleanings. I don't have an algae problem on any tanks because my light cycle is 8 off, 4 on, 4 off, 8 on, which is fine for plans (and aligns with the time I am around the tanks) but the algae seem to hate it, and for the diatoms I do get my plecos or nerites keep them in check. I spend maybe 2-3 hours Saturday or Sunday morning (depending on when the wife and baby are napping) doing all of the above work.

I do also spend an hour or two a week trimming plants, which I forgot to mention above.

Also, if you don't enjoy it yet, you will. It's a nice peaceful time to spend with just you and your fish =)

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Changed 50% oft the water, vacuumed the gravel, rinsed out the mechanical sponges on an aqua clear 110 and fluvial 306, new carbon, wiped down glass, EVERY THING. And doesn't it look good!!
I don't know how people take care of those huge aquariums.
View attachment 413498
I'm also have MTS at the moment I have a 20g,29g,40g and a 110g. I've found that if I do something everyday (which I enjoy cause 3 kids under 10yrs, it's relaxing, fish don't talk back,whine or ask for things ect. Lol) I never end up with a day that takes me hours to do one tank. I can honestly say as I went up on tank size,it actually got allot easier keeping it clean and clear.
Tank looks very nice

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
IME the secret to super clean tanks is tons of live plants. With more competition against algae it struggles to gain a foothold in the tank in the first place as any excess nutrients are taken up by plants.

This may not be possible in a cichlid tank though lol!

skar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Where are the fish ?

SplendidBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel ya, I absolutely cannot stand gravel vacuuming, but I'm willing to do it for my fish-children

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love doing water changes! Of course, I also like cleaning small mammal cages, so I guess it isn't that much of a shock. My guppies have a blast with the water flow, and the bettas get so wierd about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 66.0%

Top Bottom