Speeding up the Cycle

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want to speed up the cycle on my 10 gallon because I need to move my guppy frys there and would putting tank water from their tank speed up the cycle?

not4you

Reaction score
I don't think the water would help much but it certainly won't hurt. The best thing to do would be to transplant some established filter media to the filter on your new tank. Also adding some gravel or decorations from an established tank should speed up your cycle.

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I didn't keep any decorations or filters in my fry tank because they were tiny.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The water basically does not contain much bacteria so it does not hurry the cycle process. The best way is to use gravel from a cycled tank (or a piece of the filter media from a cycled filter put in to the new filter to help seed the new filter) It will not speed it up that much but if the tank is totally fishless the quickest way that I know of is to use the pure ammonia method of feeding the filter. That way the formation of ammonia step is bypassed and it goes right to the next step. But if you already have ammonia in the tank this is not an option or if there are fish in the tank it is not open to use either.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
not4you said:
I don't think the water would help much but it certainly won't hurt.
The water from an established tank should not hurt UNLESS it has high nitrate content, or even a moderate nitrate content. A tank with baby fish should have 0 nitrate (not to mention nitrite and ammonia), as nitrate can interfere with healthy growth in baby fish.

Plus, I agree with the rest that Not4you has said, and with everything that Rose has said.

New Threads