Speeding up Cycle.

Mmmsushi

Reaction score
Alot of you have tried diffrent products for speeding up the Cycle. Because the cycle is a common subject in this forum, I would like to see if we can possibly get a run down of each of the more common products, the time it takes with each, and any other comments on these.

Stress Zyme -

"Have been using this product for about 4 weeks and my 10 gal tank still has not finished cycleing. (Amo-2, NI - 0, NA - 5)" - Mmmsushi;

Cycle -

"Yep i use cycle when starting up a tank and use some every week just to help out the bacteria the tank ." - Boff

Bio-Spira -

"Bio-spira is the only product I know of that can be used and add fish immediately" Carol;

"What I have been reading on this product. starting with a tank without water. Fill the fish tank and all your decor. turn on your filter and heater. add the Bio and you must add the fish with in 1 hour. in order for the product to work correctly." Kelley;

None Chemical -

"Adding gravel, plants ,decor and filter bits from an established filter are ways to jump start a cycle" Carol;

"Most of the bacteria is in your filter, or on your decorations or tank walls. If you borrow some filter media from an established tank, this will help your cycle immensely. The best way is to have 2 filters in a tank, and when you are ready to start another one, simply take one of the 2 filters and place it on the new one. Of course tank sizes, amount of filtration, number of fish in the tank etc. will all be determining factors on how quickly your new tank cycles, and if borrowing this second filter means the 1st tank no longer has adequate filtration, don't do it. " Gunnie

Other - (Please state product name)

I will append responces to this post and with any luck we can get a comprehensive overview of each of these products. Not looking for advertizments of Manufactures remarks, I would like personal experiances.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bio-spira is the only product I know of that can be used and add fish immediately.
Adding gravel, plants ,decor and filter bits from an established filter are ways to jump start a cycle. Hope that helps.
Carol

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep i use cycle when starting up a tank and use some every week just to help out the bacteria the tank .

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
what about if you have a second tank if you take water from cycled tank and put it in unicycled tank will that speed up processes.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe G said:
what about if you have a second tank if you take water from cycled tank and put it in unicycled tank will that speed up processes.
Not really. There is very little bacteria just floating around in your tank. Most of the bacteria is in your filter, or on your decorations or tank walls. If you borrow some filter media from an established tank, this will help your cycle immensely. The best way is to have 2 filters in a tank, and when you are ready to start another one, simply take one of the 2 filters and place it on the new one. Of course tank sizes, amount of filtration, number of fish in the tank etc. will all be determining factors on how quickly your new tank cycles, and if borrowing this second filter means the 1st tank no longer has adequate filtration, don't do it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom